I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Precisely. The 3-headed hydra. Though the underwear pontificating has merits..
Go Jason! Go Jason! Go Jason!
"This may seem to discount or ignore the apparent flood of new political volunteers who go to make up the Tea Party movement. But how fresh and original are these faces? They come from a long and frankly somewhat boring tradition of anti-incumbency and anti-Washington rhetoric, and they are rather an insult to anyone with anything of a political memory. Since when is it truly insurgent to rail against the state of affairs in the nation's capital? How long did it take Gingrich's "rebel" forces in the mid-1990s to become soft-bottomed incumbents in their turn? Many of the cynical veterans of that moment, from Dick Armey to John Boehner, are the effective managers and controllers of the allegedly spontaneous Tea Party wave we see today."
http://www.slate.com/id/2270651/

Forgive me for taking a page out of Hitchens, but I feel that it sums my thoughts on the Tea Party quite well.
Interesting article... and by Hitchens no less. He really does bring up a good point when he asks what normal person would put themselves willingly under the kind of scrutiny a political candidate does. Did you read the comments below the article. So varied!
The Tea Party started out Libertarian and quickly got gobbled up, mashed up and deformed into a sadistically twisted heap of corporate propaganda coated with a heavy layer of religious lunacy.
These ultra rightwing conservative holy rollers are infiltrating every government position they can throw a bible at. Everywhere from federal to state and local government, the Tea baggers are taking over government while railing against government takeover. This is a dream come true for corporate America and their ambition for a pure corporatist oligarchy.

Our corporate masters already have the Supreme Court under their thumb and thanks to their ruling, corporations are people too and can spend an abyss filled with money on any candidate they know will serve the bottom line. The corporate powers that be have long since figured out how to use that age old manipulation tool (Religion), and can easily manipulate these poor suckers into voting the very shirts off their backs because gays are getting married.

If this November the Republicans take congress, then by 2012 it’s good morning President Palin.
What? I can’t use fear either to light a fire under our collective liberal butts? Get moving people, this is for REAL!!!
Come on, now Dustin, while I share your views on the TP AND your concerns about the corporate oligarchy, I'm don't get the leap from "Republicans taking Congress" in a midterm election which the opposition party nearly always takes, to "President Palin" in 2012.

Could it be just the opposite? Could the newly elected lunatics actually do the opposite and force a hard turn to the left in 2012 and even 2014?
That would be an unexpected twist now, wouldn't it, Larry? I would love to see that happen.

So most of the conservatives I'm asking about the Tea Party are insisting that it doesn't have anything to do with racism, and not even with God, so much as with taxes. One person gave me a link to this article, which basically states that based on signs & interviews at a recent TP rally, they are steering clear of being anti-Obama & more anti-spending. What do you think?
Given the gnat-like memory and attention span of the US electorate, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a GOP-"led" Congress over the next two years sparked a left-wing counterinsurgency in 2012. I am still convinced that a Palin presidency is impossible. Well, Michael Palin, sure. But not Sarah. She sank McCain's bid, so I don't see how she could stand on her own.

I suspect the Teabaggers are trying pretty hard to downplay their racist and anti-intellectual leanings, though their chosen candidates don't seem terribly shy about playing the lunacy card. And yes, they are pushing the taxation = catastrophe angle. Nobody likes paying taxes, but the anti-taxers are the same crowd that like to bitch about how long it takes to renew your license at the DMV or for the police to respond to an emergency.

They're incapable of thinking in terms of large numbers. The services that they depend on are important, but they don't stop to think that there are over 300 million people in the US, all of whom need government services. As far as the Teabaggers are concerned, any government dollar not spent on them or on things they consider important are just wasted or fraudulent. That's not how a democracy works.
Well, I suppose we'll see. It's going to be interesting over the next couple of years seeing all this play out. I'll do my best to steer things left within my little sphere of influence.

re why the conservatives are "mad" - in my opinion it does't matter what the issue is. They'll get into a fury on ANYTHING that the right wing radio/tv televangelists tell them to.

I think it in our nature to get all riled up. Perhaps there is evem some evolutionary benefit. I can see how clan leaders might need to get their people fired up to kill a mammoth or to fight opposing tribes. I'm just thankful it doesn't work on me and many other thinking people.
Yeah, the right wingers get all cranky at Dems even when they are pushing something originally pushed by Republicans, like forcing people to buy health insurance to cut down on free riders. Part of Romneycare in Mass and championed by the GOP when they would occasionally have to give a soundbite about what health insurance reform should look like. Not that they were ever about to change it on their own, mind you.
So I just have to share this link with all of you, as it pertains to the TP and it made my husband and I laugh extremely hard tonight. Seems like Christine O'Donnell is the Dan Quayle of the Tea Party.
You're right, I'm sorry. I know I can't get from point A to point B without proper justification, but it is in the realm of possibility, and that's what makes it scary. Besides, that was a fear tactic which I already admitted to, and fear works on everyone at least for a little while and seems to be something our side rarely uses outside of facts as if facts weren't scary enough. It seems we aren't as motivated or as organized as the far right.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service