I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My pleasure. I found that part about Ron Paul, Jr., and Mitch McConnell fascinating. I live next door to KY, and get their TV campaign ads here in Southern Illinois. You could literally watch Paul's metamorphises from the primary ads to the current ones for the general election. He's dropped all Libertarian talk of de-criminalizing drugs, getting rid of a lot of non-violent victimless crimes, and having people pay a deductible for medicare. Now, he comes across as the fiscal conservative towing the Republican Party line, and engaging in the same mud slinging (backed by Karl Rove) as all run-of-the-mill candidates do.
Hey Maia, a FB friend of mine posted this video, which includes a compilation of Ronald Reagan clips and current "liberal" politicians. We had quite a FB chat! I think I may have finally gotten to him.

He's really a smart and decent guy. He, like many people, just fall for the emotional crap dumped on them by Fox and right wing radio. At least, perhaps, I got him to question his sources.
That's great, Larry. Converting Conservatives one facebook friend at a time. Well done. Lol. Do you have a link to that video you mentioned?
Sure< I meant to include it above. Here it is
Okay, Larry, I have a video of my own to post up. You can view it here.

The Colbert Report Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
On Topic: Colbert Case Files - Tea Party
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes 2010 Election March to Keep Fear Alive
love the "Rap Battle" - thx
The Teabaggers are just Libertarian wannabe dupes of the GOP. Though the last time the GOP co-opted a movement, the Moral Majority loons took the party over, so this is just part of the ongoing self-destruction of the Republican Party. They'll pick up seats this fall, but that just means they'll have a bigger platform to display their lunacy, and the Dems will benefit in 2012. I think we're going to end up with a dominant Democratic Party with a big and influential Blue Dog wing, a Tea Party where all the conservative Christians end up, and a somewhat larger Libertarian Party when the Libertarians flirting with the Tea Party pull their heads out and realize how religious the Tea Party is.

The Republibaggertarians are primarily driven by fear--fear of foreigners, immigrants, minorities, atheists, the educated, the government, bureaucracy--but also by myopia and ignorance. They don't like large systems that they can't understand, even when they benefit from them. They don't trust their fellow citizens to do the right thing. They are convinced that government itself is evil. Why anybody would vote for a candidate who thinks government is evil is beyond me.

Since the loony right is convinced that government is awful, their primary answer to everything is to lower taxes, to starve the beast, to let people control their own money, thereby leading to the best of all possible societies. Of course, that really only leads to the most selfish of all possible societies. And what's really bad about this is the dangerous idea that taxes are inherently inimical to an economy, as though money raised by taxes is simply taken out back and burned. It's not. It gets pumped right back into the economy, unlike tax cuts for the wealthy, which mostly just sit there.

The whole supply side worldview is just so incomplete. Without demand, supply doesn't do any good. If the wealthy keep more of their money because of tax cuts, they're not going to spend it because they don't need anything--demand will not be stimulated. Of course poor people don't pay taxes, so tax cuts don't help them, and people in the middle don't pay very much in taxes, so tax cuts don't save them very much and don't provide them with much extra cash to go out and spend. Poor people can't create demand because they can't afford to buy anything. Rich people don't need anything. People in the middle are crushed in an economy that doesn't need to hire any workers (oversupply of labor), and so they hoard what they do have, making the problem worse. The Teabaggers don't get that taxes can actually stimulate the economy by taking money from people who aren't using it and putting it to work. Government spending is important in a down economy. The government is the consumer of last resort. It's appalling that the lessons of The Great Depression have already been forgotten, but with nutjobs like Beck and the rest of the Fox gang running around subverting history, it's not terribly surprising.
right on Jason. you should run for office! oops - atheists can't pass the religious test, sorry, too bad!
Holy crap, that was awesome!

Republibaggertarians

I'm stealing it...
With the Koch brothers trying to buy up the scraps of the GOP and Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck pontificating so rabidly in their underwear, I think we might as well admit that the Republican Party, the Tea Party, and the Libertarian Party are really all one three-headed hydra.
Fantastic, Jason. I kind of want to draw that image now.
The three-headed hydra image, right, not the underwear pontificating?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service