I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He was born on an army base,which is considered to be US soil.
So, no Obama, no Tea Party? really? If Hillary Clinton was Prez you don't think the tea party would exist? come on! sure they go after Obama's race, but if Hillary or any white was president, they would have other stupids signs and baseless accusations.

This is a war against democrats and their greater reliance on government intervention, not blacks.
Were the protesters that burned Bush in effigy racist against whites? How about all the Bush signs with swastikas on them. Were all those protesters bigots, homophobes and Jew haters? I have no doubt that there are some Tea Partiers that are idiots but, why judge the whole group because of a few idiots. I can see why they are protesting. They see our government shoving social programs down the throats of the American people. These are people who have worked hard all their lives and don’t want there money taken from them without any say. By the way, there have been thousands and thousands of protest signs and these are the best you could come up with?
As I listed earlier there are 2 categories... Its clear which you both fall under. Hey its ok tho I know people who really believe tar baby and porch monkey are perfectly acceptable to use in social settings.

As I also said earlier racism is not just about blacks in America... As well as an explanation of the pictures...

If you're not even going to take the time to read my responses, I'm not going to take the time to respond any further.

Why are they protesting... laughable... They protest on "tax day" whilst receiving the largest tax cuts in history. They protest the bailout which has been repaid in full with profit... They protest "Obamacare" while enjoying Medicare and Social Security... They protest government spending as their children attend public school most likely bussed in on public roadway. They protest unemployment, food stamps, and everything that kept this sinking ship afloat...

BTW Binker holding a fucking stuffed monkey with a fucking noose around its neck as a protest sign pales in comparison to anything said or done against Bush. You've been watching too much Beck... Maybe you can not see the blatant fucking reference to lynching as well as comparing African genetics to apes. Again perhaps ignorance...? IDK...
Here Here, Fawkes!
It strikes me that to certain people the double standard/blatant hypocrisy isn't readily apparent... Although it also seems that the same people who say "look at what they did to Bush" are the same people who say "Stop bringing up Bush, he's out of office, he's history; stop blaming Bush!" and yet are the SAME people who said "it was Clinton's Affordable Housing policies that lead the the market crash in housing!" and even MORE so say "Reagan is who we need back in office, another Ronald Reagan!" (even though he raised taxes 4 times in his two terms as president)
~That being said, there is a racist undertone in the tea party, albeit not being the cornerstone of the movement. People seem to be afraid of the change that is happening in the world (a black president?! Human Equality through Healthcare Reform?! [thats what I wish it was at least]) and its bringing out the stupid as well as the hateful. Just yesterday I heard a guy on talk radio where I live say that if there wasn't the change they wanted today in the elections he always had the second amendment to exorcise~ when pressed to explain, he wouldn't. hmmmmmm
Again, that was one person not the entire group. So the person at last weekends rally with the sign that stated "I masturbate to Christine O'Donnell" means that all democrats/liberals spank to a pix of O'Donnell? BTW, I can't stand Beck. You forget, I am an atheist and his mall demonstation made me ill. Please advise as to how all the stimulus money was paid back when over half has yet to be dished out? I'm 49 and not on Medicare and will probably not see SSI. My kids do attend public schools but I just ponied out $4,256 on school taxes and that was an increase from last year.
Well I'm pretty sure that sign was meant to be ironic, not literal. I'm sure you know that, so I fail to see how that would have any meaning in the context of this discussion. as far as the stimulus is concerned, as far as i understand it, it is the TARP bailouts that have been repaid over what what expended, not the stimulus. the stimulus was intended for national infrastructure and state programs, not to bail out businesses. Not to mention that the taxes you pay on your property are not regulated by the federal gov't but by a local school board.
The context was that there are ignorant people on both sides and not to judge the entire group because of a few. I know a ton to tea partiers and they are to a person, good, hardworking descent people. I don't know any that have a racist bone in their body. It's not fair to judge the entire group based on some assholes' poster.
@ Binker
~I don't think that anyone is trying to say that every person at the tea rally is a racist.. I think its more that they are pointing out some overtly racist overtones to the movement itself, not the individuals. To use a horrible analogy, the Nazi movement itself was atrocious and based on ideals that many people within didn't agree with. many people who were participants in the rallies then didn't agree with what would happen from it, but were implicated non the less. Its the fact that there ARE people like that in the organization, and they are being accepted into the fold regardless... more of a guilt by association type of thing. thats my take. to expand on that, the tea party itself had very loose parameters of what it was about, which allowed almost anyone with a pulse and hard-on for tax reduction to join. by not specifying more so on their views, it created room for people with VERY different views about other things to represent them as well.
Your right, it was a horrible analogy. Look, I have a lot of problems with both sides. The fact that 99% of blacks voted for Obama I would assume means they are bigoted toward whites.
You are correct that the group had and has very loose parameters but that is because it is truly a grass roots movement without an organized leader. I have seen and heard of people with derogatory signs get called out by tea partiers and signs destroyed. I have yet to see that reported but I can attest it does happen.
The blacks voting for a black candidate doesn't make them bigoted, but it does make them biased. so what? is voting for someone that resembles you the same as lynching someone in effigy?
~the first credited Tea Party (tho it was not termed that at the time) had 120 participants and was held in seattle, Wa. by Keli Carender. She subsequently held two more on feb 26th 2009, and then one with about 1200 people on Tax day. Those were not labeled as "Tea Parties" at the time.
~ The NATIONAL movement started after a video of Rick Santelli (a commentator on CNBC) went viral, in which he called for a TEA PARTY in opposition to Pres. Obama's plan to subsidize toxic mortgages. The video clip was featured on the Drudge report; Within 12 hours several websites had been developed to organize the event. Fox news started reporting on it the next day. There were Several Prominant supporters of the movement initially, including R Senator Tom Colburn, Ned Ryun, son of former Rep. Jim Ryun, R-Kan, Republican Dick Armey, Howard Kaloogian, former Republican member of the California Assembly; Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., and Michele Bachmann, R-Minn. Glenn Beck, Fox News personality, And those are just to name a few. THESE ARE ALL INITIAL SUPPORTERS AND FUNDRAISERS FOR THE FIRST TEA PARTY MOVEMENTS. Most are well connected politically, have incredible fundraising capacities, and many are already independently wealthy. all of this information is available on the internet. I, personally, would not describe anything that was founded by individuals such as these "grassroots" but thats just my opinion.
And honestly binker, I don't want to argue these points. I just want people to understand what these things are. If you agree with the movement, that is absolutely ok. I understand people don't always see eye to eye, but I do like to search out common understandings about certain things, so that we are all on the same page.. I guess my last post is about that... the movement itself is real, yes. is it grassroots? in my opinion, no. and i guess my real question would be "why couldn't the people organizing preface with 'we support the president, but not these policies...' which should eliminate the need for pictures of hitler obama and hanging effigies?" wouldn't that make much more sense if there isn't a real animosity?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
1 minute ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
2 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
4 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
12 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
31 minutes ago
Luara posted a discussion
32 minutes ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service