I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anybody remember the "reform" party?
The only differences I can see is that Perot wasn't as charismatic as Palin or as colorful as the other characters, and his main point turned out to be correct. He was seen by the media as "nuts" as well.
This time, as the tea party wasn't "private property" so to speak, the GOP was able to co-opt it from the beginning. I seem to remember the GOP blaming Perot for the loss of Bush I, and now that I think about it more, there are a lot of parallels that I'm a bit surprised nobody in the media has said much about.
It's now known as "United We Stand".
"Dear Tea Party, you will now get YOURS"
wow, good one Maia.

Love this paragraph:

"But if you are a lower to middle-class Republican, Tea Partier or flip-flopping indie voter, you are now in the most delightfully ironic position of all -- you think you just voted yourself more voice, when in fact you voted for far less. You think yourself a lion; you're actually the meat. You actually just voted yourself an even lower position on the food chain. Congratulations."
I know! I loved that part, too! It's going to be SO interesting to follow this group of people and see where they go, what happens to their policies, and whether or not they simply fade away. Thought this article expressed my feelings pretty well.
What is REALLY going to be interesting is the infighting that a 'third' party is going to create in a two party system~ Might we see dems and repubs coming together to crush the tea partiers? i sure hope so, that will make some excellent entertainment!
I still feel this will wind up being a "tempest in a teapot" so to speak.
It's outlived it's usefulness. What began as a serious question about the role of gov't in the financial markets was quickly suborned in to a propaganda tool by the GOP, a.k.a- Karl Rove & co.
The tea baggers that don't get the message will get kicked around by the establishment for a while and then be forgotten. They already gave Bachmann a slap and it seems they're getting ready to give Palin one.(With her, all they have to do is turn off the money spigot) They've already consumed Rand Paul, and the most severe loonies lost. The ones that did get in will learn to tow the party line soon enough.
It never became more than a sideshow.
Which worked to an extent. The could have won the Senate if they would have routed out the crazies from the outset. I think they even tried, but didn't want to risk coming off as too cannibalistic.
What I fear is what they might dream up next.
In a weird wonkish way, this election was good for the left in terms of the long game. Most of the dems that lost were of the "blue dog" variety. They formed a bloc that was very difficult for the establishment democrats to work with. Which, if they play it right, could strengthen their hand for the big election in two years.
What about the fear of the left moving more center/right now? Its starting to sound like the Pres, and some others, are conceding and might shift more conservative~ exactly the opposite of what is needed. If that happens, we may all be completely fucked. what I can't see is how this election was, to most, a huge victory for republicans~ they didn't capture the senate, and didn't achieve a super majority in congress like the dems did in 08 if I'm not mistaken~ so where is the huge victory? comparatively, they didn't do much but ride the wave of "lets blame who's in power for things largely out of their control," which happens every 2-6 years anyways

It seems like the one thing most in this thread will agree on is the Democrats have been, and likely will continue to be, total pussies. Their ideals, at least obama's, I agree with in principle, if not in actuality, but how are they going to get anything done, ever, if they don't get in peoples faces... and from an article I read today, thats exactly what sets them apart from republicans too~ Individual thought is valued more than rhetoric and leadership~ which is why they are losing... eesh, their best value is their worst asset, how ironic?
Does anyone see any way of this trend changing? Is there anything that can be done? I'm not a democrat by any means, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend (at least that works in this case)

[edited for content]

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service