I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my goodness. Gonna have to sit down tonight and sift through all those comments. I caught the first few pages. Wow!
The Tea Party is essentially the political arm of the KKK.

WHAT?

Oh wow, that's too much for me.
Ha ha ha, good point.
we laugh, but is there a modicum of truth to this statement? Is it not true that the KKK was also a god-fearing right-wing political fringe group?
Not all tp'ers are racist.
I didn't say that ALL tp'ers were racist.

I did ask of the KKK was a God Fearing right-wing fringe group - with similiar characteristics as the TP. Are they?
honestly, maybe a MODICUM of truth, but thats where it would end. I'd love to compare them to something with a hated history, but the truth is the KKK became established with a well defined structure and organization, based on religious beliefs. I think the opposite is true with the TP, they are loosely organized and religion was a secondary factor~ might we remember that nearly 87% of americans are christian, so a religious factor in any random sample of americans will be high to begin with.. I think the organization of the KKK would be the defining factor in the difference, it was steeped in tradition and ritual, based on the religion (baptist I believe) which led to the racism as well. Loosly baptist, more aryan(?) and believing in white superiority. I should probably just look it up before I make any more assumptions.
How are they similar? Besides being a right wing fringe group. I don't see the similarity.
I'd only say that if we think that political parties are evolutionary, which I believe they are, that the KKK is a great grandfather of the TP. Sure it isn't as extreme, but the DNA has the same make-up: Anti Govt, overtly religious, simplistic and generally racist
Tea Party, the lasting effects?... Hm. Well, while I am tempted to assert they will likely disappear in the next two years, I'm not sure I could say that. What its starting to seem to me is that although the movement can be invalidated in a number of ways, the momentum and the emotions behind it are real. What I haven't seen in peoples responses to this question is the acceptance that nearly 40% of americans are or sympathize strongly with this movement.. and with numbers like that, the failure of such a movement could have much worse repercussions than its success. Consider that if it fails, it will end up leaving a large part of the American public feeling disenfranchised, a large part that is prone to activism, extremist views, and more recently violent rhetoric. They are the most fearful and emotional of active parties right now, easily wooed and incited. Now that they have been roped together under a banner, and have seen some "moderate" success (that amount of success is a matter of opinion~ While elections like last weeks do not happen often, I would not consider it monumental like some have) they now have a concrete agenda that, while it may be unformed as far as policy, comes with certain foggy expectations. Its my contention that the failure of the party might be more harmful to American politics if it doesn't happen through apathy (one of America's strong suits) or at least in some discrete manner. A defeat that would appeal to me (something large and public, like a total "facing" where each tenant of their credos is dispelled and destroyed) would be the worst thing possible, because the people that comprise this movement are emotional, and not particularly smart [in the sense of understanding political philosophy, and issues in general]. they are a ground movement, maybe in a way like the proletariat uprising~ influential in numbers, but not as informed as they should be (only referencing the communist revolution in the sense of the lower class uprising; not to compare policies or political intellect)... So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I personally hope the movement is over in two years, dead in the water, that could be one of the worst things to happen unless it is done in a cautious way, or in a way that isn't inciting. It is the last big bang, more than likely, for many in the "greatest generation" and the "baby boomers," which might be why so many have taken to it. In the next twenty years, I suspect there is going to be a large shift in American politics, as generation X and whatever generation I'm in start to surface as the dominant demographic. [thoughts?]
The thing about emotions is that they are usually fleeting. It's hard to keep that level of intensity up for a 2 hour football game, how will they keep it up for over 2 years? Especially when they see members of their own "team" sitting on the bench while everyone else gets the glory.

I'm sure they'll get all riled up again in 2012, but I think they have hit their peak. Like any team, it's hard to win two big games in a row, especially when you don't have talent or a coherent strategy. Palin will embarrass herself time and time again once she is off Fox News and her true colors will shame many TP'rs. I'm not a particulaly "self-assured" type, so I reserve the right to be wrong.

Re the long term look, there have always been right wing fringe groups and they always fail over time. The progressive position always, always, wins. It might be slower than we would like, and it might seem like 1 step back for every two steps forward, but ultimately we always move forward, not backwards.
It sure seems to me that the 2010 midterms were decided by the people who stayed home, not the Teabaggers who voted. The Dems wussed out like they usually do, so the fired-up progressives who elected Obama sat it out in 2010. And now Obama is actually taking the blame, saying he didn't compromise enough with the GOP on health insurance reform. Incredible, since the Dems pre-emptively caved in on almost every issue, and considering the GOP is incapable of compromise, doesn't want it, and disowns any member who attempts it.

When the GOP is in the minority, they pretty much get everything they want. When they're in the majority, they pretty much get everything they want. The Dems are so afraid of looking like liberals, they can't do anything without a supermajority in every branch.

Fortunately, the GOP will be incapable of governing over the next two years, thanks in large part to the insanity of the Teabaggers. If the Dems have any brains and spine, they'll do everything they can to make the Republican House look like THE problem. We could be in for a decade or two of being whipsawed between the two parties until the increasingly Democratic demographics begin to be felt more intensely or until we get a progressive in the White House who actually sticks to his guns.

Either way, the Tea Party will flame out over the next two years, particularly when Palin makes her next disastrously inept run for the White House.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service