I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ancient Chinese Curse:

"May you live in interesting times."
Ancient Chinese Curse:

"May you live in interesting times."

Love that! Funny. How fitting.

Yes, the word "interesting" is a loaded adjective.
Yeah, that is a great line. People are much more likely to survive and thrive during boring and predictable times.

And Linda, I think the "easy answer" depiction of the Teabaggers is about right. They really seem to try pretty hard to avoid thinking in complex terms. That usually leads to disaster in politics. (I also can't remember who raised the "easy answer" idea on the thread.)
Park, that's one of my pet peeves. In our evolutionary history, competition and cooperation were both important. I personally believe that cooperation is by far the more important tendency, but libertarians seem to think that competition is all that matters. That leads to some really bizarre and inhumane conclusions, but on its surface, who could seriously disagree that competition can inspire excellence?
I don't think anyone would argue that. Competition is by definition a degree of excellence, but anyone who would think that it is the core to a prosperous society doesn't understand human cognition and welfare. Competition is a byproduct of a successful society, not the core of it. unless there is a moderate level of safety and quality to the masses, competition doesn't develop.
I also find interesting the idea of a more comprehensive sense of infrastructure, to include utilities and possibly housing and food as well. if those were funded through taxes and a socialized program, much more of the remaining income of an individual would be disposable, hence opening up opportunities for more competition in the markets, since they mostly rely on disposable income anyways. not to mention that the expansion of regulated infrastructure could allow us to cut funding for other social welfare programs...if anyone has any thoughts on that let me know, its an idea i've been toying with.
We can't get off oil because the oil industry controls our national energy policy. We will continue to jump from one war to another because our national defense policy is run by the defense industry. Healthcare policy is decided by the insurance and pharmaceutical industries. We have deregulated the banking industry to the point where the institutions that we use to save our citizens money can use that money for high risk investments, then we are forced to bail them out when those investments fail.
We as a nation let our most critical national interest be governed by the for profit industries that provide them to us. So these critical interest are strictly profit motivated instead of motivated for the benifit of the nation that maintains there profit and monopolies. This will never be fixed as long as our political system is for sale to the highest bidder. Campaign finance reform, term limits and sunshine laws help, but our gov't will never operate for the interest of its citizens above that of the corporation until those critical functions are nationalized. Profit motivation just does not belong in defense, health or national resources, but the republicans would have us privatize even our education system, jails and infrastructure. When the gov't exist only for the benefit of the corporation, we move closer to a bloodless fascist takover of our nation.
These two were recently spotted at a tea party rally.

Ha ha ha! Love the look on the ladies face. She's like "huh? wha?" Clueless - Ba ha ha.
I wrote this a few months ago. While not just specifically about the tea party it sums up what I think all the noise is really about.
Well said.
so shall we now ponder why people choose to listen in the first place? honestly, it would hardly seem to make sense that we listen for no good reason at all... we don't listen to the crazies on the corner shouting about the end of the world, so why are we raptured (no pun intended) by the people on the tv?
~i've two ideas so far, after contemplating it for exactly 3 minutes
~ our fascination with people on the television is what keeps us in rapt attention. just how we love to wave our arms when caught on a national broadcast, we have the same fascination with listening to those on the tv itself. this one, i do not think, is the answer.
~secondly, and more likely, is that we are using it self medicate ourselves. while a persons life really has not changed much in the last 1000 years (you work to eat and sleep, your purpose is to keep the cycle going) we are becoming more aware of the philosophies concerning quality of life and meaningful life. ours are mostly not such, and so we latch on to a medium that millions of other people subscribe to as well, not just to have something to discuss but to feel like we have a purpose, and to make us feel better about our lives. that feigned threat of attack makes us feel like we have something to lose, like we've done something that is worth saving (damn! obamacare gonna take away my blue cross/blue shield!) and it is this attempt to rationalize the irrationality of our now awakened existence that leads to the hate so many people are feeling; they are truly falling into the trap. might this be why you don't get the same fervor out of print media anymore? its not as communicative, true to life?
~we are now at a point where purpose is a real question to us, and not simply an aristocratic musing whilst the peasants toil away in the fields. our lives for the most part lack real consequential purpose (hence the themes in movies that center around a hero [although i do understand that is an ancient and traditional archetype]) We mostly die before we realize we are really alive, although in recent years (since maybe the fifties/sixties?) the midlife crisis has emerged, realizing to ones self that more than half of the expected lifespan has passed and nothing of consequence has really been accomplished; this media-storm is our medication, our pacifier day to day as we slowly wither like the flowers in our garden. let us fight in the face of lack of purpose, let us spend our weeks in imaginary battle with ghostly foes, the random names that pop into and out of our lives week to week, and feel like we have really been a part of something, of a movement, and that hopefully, one day, we can look back and say "i remember that time, that battle, i was there and i did something as well." if only there will be someone to help us recall, in our old age, the days that we really will forget by then; the lives that we have spend doing nothing but everything we know we must, hoping for something better always, and never realizing what we have now, or what we should. we will be there, all of us, looking back over that hill we climbed and instead of seeing the battles we fight today, we will see, only with clarity, the distance from whence we came.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service