I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A bit of a tangent but, it would also help the economy if the government stopped giving social security checks to dead people.
They're all friggin nutters. Everyone vote on Nov 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you ever wonder what kind of person it will be who decides to push the button?

or

what kind of person it will be who sets off a terrorist dirty bomb?

I think about that a lot. Because I am certain it will happen one day. It's only a matter of time. Mark my words. No don't mark my words. The last time I said that I was so right. I predicted Steve Irwin would die because of his dangerous life style. I said mark my words. Sigh, I miss that guy. He was quite a character.

I made the above comment on this thread the day before the suspected Al Qaeda bomb plot which happened yesterday. I did hear on Fox news yesterday that some people who were on one of the vechicles in question were scanned for radiological residue and none was found. I don't know if this actually happened or if it was a confirmed report but I heard it with my own ears and it gave me the willies.

Matter of time. I see no resolution. Everyone shouting and pointing fingers at each other. Our technology has passed our capability to control it. It was destined to happen. Monkeys pounding on typewriter keys faster and faster until KABOOM. The human experiment has failed. Utopia was not claimed. "There is no Sanctuary" (from Logan's Run - that's a sci-fi movie from the 1970's btw - one of my fav's). Also from that movie "Protein, I need protein" quoted by the ice robot. Somehow fitting in this post in my warped mind anyway ha ha.

It's all about being the top dog and ensuring your protein intake. Security in numbers. Your pack. Your tribe. But there will always be trigger happy people out there. It says in the Bible Jesus said "the poor will always be with you" and I say so will the trigger happy folks. Their out there just waiting for their moment of glory. Waiting. They will have their moment. Matter of time, a short span of time. (I know I used a quote from the Bible but only because I happen to agree with this particular quote and I don't know who actually said it or wrote it but it sticks with me and I like the poetic lilt of the phrase).

I just saw a snippet of the "Boiling Point" (about the Tea Party movement) that will be aired tonight on CNN at 8pm it looks like they gave CNN the ice cold shoulder and probably for good reason because it looks like this documentary is going to be very negative for them and probably deservedly so. See? My attitude has changed drastically since I first starting posting on this thread the day before yesterday. It's like a crash course in American politics 101 (atheist style) lol.

Sorry for the derail. Hopefully it will just be this one post. I could not help myself.

Just call me dooms day Linda. I don't want to be her - I only let her out on this thread now and then because she does not feel safe expressing herself anywhere else. I'm putting her into the locked room in the back now.

I can't wait to hear all about the Rally for Sanity or whatever it is called (not sure I got that right). All of you who are going I hope you have a great time and don't forget to post all about it. I love those characters (Stewart and Colbert) even though their seeming leftist agenda would annoy me the laughs they gave me was worth it. Maybe they won't annoy me so much anymore. I have been thinking so much in the last couple of days I would not be surprised if smoke started steaming out of my ears lol.
I want to reply to this, but the Rally has just started and we're watching it!!! More after it's over. Stay sane!!!
@Maia, @Linda- Since health care and insurance have been discussed here, I thought you might want to have a look at this.
Whhooooaaaaa!!!!! !!!! !!!! !!!!!

David - I could not watch the video but I had a gay old time reading the comments. What a riot! Now that is entertainment! Who needs to watch a video!

If you read enough of the commets you will understand the video. I'm skilled at reading Youtube comments and not being able to watch the videos LOL. Freaking dial-up! When there is a video I want to watch really bad, I go to my brother's house and watch it on his computer. He has Wi-Fi. He is not a cyber neanderthal with only dial-up like me.

My mother had a brain aneurism and she says she almost damn near died fighting with the insurance company throughout her recovery. She said the fight with the insurance company was more harrowing than the illness. If it had not been for a family friend who knew how to deal with insurance companies and lent us her gracious expertise (yep, my Mexican American atheist Republican best friend), I think my mother would have thrown up her hands and declaired bankrupty. My mother is ALL FOR OBAMACARE. She said fighting with the insurance company made her wish she were dead (she was very ill and fragile at the time). She's great now.

Thanks for the great link. It was extremely interesting, informative and hugely entertaining! LOL (some really sad things too though).
Linda, I felt this way for the first time during my 1st pregnancy. While I wanted to have a home water birth, it was just not an option with an HMO. Now I have friends who had home water births who spend months arguing with their insurance companies to get reimbursed. After a while, they just gave in and realized they weren't getting anything from the insurance companies. I remember them describing their horrible experiences dealing with them on the phone. It made me not even want to give it a try. Not worth the headache.

So while birth is not typically nowadays a life or death situation, I found it very frustrating that I had no control over the way my child would be born. I'm more resolute to it this time around. It is what it is. I'm not going to have any control, but I'm not going to stress out about it. Still, I never understood why some insurance companies would fully cover midwives, but others wouldn't. And with some insurance, if you press them hard enough they will cover it. Doesn't seem fair or right.

Have you ever heard of the film "The Business of Being Born"? Very eye opening. But really, all health insurance companies are thinking of us in terms of a business standpoint and not from a health and wellness standpoint. This, to me, is what is fundamentally wrong with our system thus far. So the question is, what are we to do about it?

What would the Tea Party do? What do other countries do? What is Obama lobbying for? Ultimately, how can we achieve fair health care in this country?
I believe the Tea Party is a mostly wealthy, mostly white group of groupies for the super rich and the super religious. It just blows me away that anyone as stupid as Sharon Angle can be neck and neck with Harry Reid. Reid once told me that half of the state of Nevada, roughly Las Vegas south, is mostly Mormon and the other half, Vegas north, including Reno, is mostly Catholic (by which I assumed he meant Christian, Protestants included. I may have that exactly reversed, but that is besides the point.) You have a Mormon-Protestant battle for the senate, so hardly fought that the usually calm Reid just used the word, "hell," in a debate. (He is that straight-laced.) But Angle's refusal to be interviewed by any national media is a dead giveaway to her lack of intelligence and utter ineptness at fielding tough questions. She's made so many gaffes she's just refusing to talk. "Gosh, I wish they'd all go away." All she will say is that she is for reducing the size of government and increasing the privitization of social security. In other words, the sort of trickle down conservatism seen throughout the Bush years.
Maybe she just knows that whatever she says to the national media will be twisted and taken out of context. As you know, the media is very fair to conservatives.
Yeah, things get all twisted out of shape when you record them in some way.
I guess silence is better than writing everything on your hand.
well, i finally got back from the rally today, it was pretty crazy. musta been at least two hundred thousand people there. I remember the tea partiers complaining (during the estimation of the crowd) that "there were people under the trees!" [a response to the lower number than what they wanted] but when i was there looking around i thought to myself "there are people IN the trees! and on top of the porta johns, and on the steps of the museum, and blocking the street, there was no where to move!" great experience.
its been like a day since i've been on here but i'd like to say this on the health care bill issue. this is a subject matter that should be approached philosophically, because it is fundamental to human life. I cannot favor corporations when it comes to a persons health. the other day I heard a woman actually say that she believes some people don't deserve as good of health care as others! How does that make sense? how can some people not deserve better health than others? who is to make that decision?? or should ALL people be able to be treated equally, just like (ideologically) the police system, the fire department, the school system, hell, even when it comes to justice! if this is a country of equality, then why are we arguing over this? this issue isnt' with the implementation, its about the philosophy behind it all
Park, I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the rally. Also, your philosophical approach to health care is very intriguing. It's hard to imagine someone saying that a person deserves better health care than another. I'd love to hear what you think we could do. And where do you stand on Obama's Health Care plan?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service