I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linda, I don't doubt the TP adherents are, for the most part, honestly concerned and frighten by the state of the country - as are most people on A/N. The venom is largely against the political slime that have exploted their frustrations to advance the own ends - which has little to do with the needs of the common herd.
If this is the worst ass biting you get you'll be in good shape - you should scan the posts and see a few asses get completely chewed off. :>) But we are mostly a friendly lot.
yeah it's Koch ( but Cock er..Kock fits them better) :>)
actually, its funny, because I heard on Rush Limbaugh's show today his strategy for Democrats~ it was don't vote next week; the reasoning being [from what little there seemed to be] that they will lose anyways and that way Hillary Clinton will have a chance to run for president in 2012 because public opinion won't be as against them... and from what I can gather, he's stating this with the assumption that the republican led house and/or congress would do such a horrible job that people would be sick of them in another two years. I found that interesting lol.
I forgot to add that I agree with the views expressed on this thread that the Tea Party does not seem to have any good answers to the problems they are addressing so I'm not saying I think they are really accomplishing anything worthwhile - I'm just saying I think their motives are good motives and they have hope. More than I do.
here's the thing linda. if you compile all of the issues that we've put together over the last couple pages, you begin to see a disturbing trail of dishonesty~ that is what angers us. I would agree with tea partiers if I didn't know the issues better, but they themselves have not done the research. they take queues from people who have a vested interest in the outcome, and spew rhetoric that is misinformed at least, and downright lies at worst. if you look at polls concerning the knowledge and viewpoints on tpers, they are horribly misinformed about issues. at least one quarter believe that obama is from kenya, if not more. the short point is is that we [although i only speak for myself] are angry because there is ANOTHER movement founded on dishonesty and mistortion, taking real issues that affect lives like healthcare and cheapening them, and building up bullshit like a mosque in NYC into a 2 week event!!!!!
I agree that they have hope - more hope than I have as well. The problem is that what they hope for is unrealistic and irresponsible. Their dream-world won't work, even for them. They are being exploited by a selfish minority to the detriment of most Americans.
Park - I nearly hit the ceiling when I found out they wanted to build a Mosque two blocks from Ground Zero. It should at least be at least 10 blocks away. But hey, they have the right to do it so that's just how I feel though.

I do not believe that at least one quarter of the tea party believe that Obama is a Kenyan. Besides, progressive liberals believe a whole lot of crap that is 1000 times more outrageous than than.
Phil - I agree with you.

They are being exploited by a selfish minority to the detriment of most Americans.

By that do you mean there are a minority of racist tpers that make the party look bad?

I can agree with that too.
Sorry to intererupt, but he is referring to the minority of superwealthy, plutocratic [to use his terms] Robber Barons (haven't heard that since the industrial revolution!) who represent the massive corporate and political force driving this so called "grass roots" movement [which is about as grass roots as astroturf]
the legislation that those people are advocating will not benefit them, it will benefit big corporations and the billionaires behind them~ it will benefit the wealthiest two percent of americans, not the tea partiers who are advocating it~

I'm sorry if i stepped on any toes by catching that one Phil, much respect
No problem, Park, that's the minority I was talking about, of course. The racists are part of the misled mob.
Jason - All I can say is it is hard to know who is telling the truth. I listen to Fox and CNN. I hear rediculous things on both networks. I also hear good things on both. That's why I watch both. I want to hear it all.

Your economic philosophy is in direct oppostion of what I hear Neal Boortz talk about (he is a Libertarian) and other people I see on television. I like to watch shows like "This Week" and panel discussions on CNN and such. I try to listen to all sides.

All I hear is people saying opposite things - using poll stats that say opposite things and it is damn confusing so all I can do is judge from my personal experience.

I am almost 50 years old so I do have some experience under my belt. I lost a very good job I held for eight years with a large company due to polictical correctness gone very wrong. I could have fought it but I was not up to the challenge at the time. That's a big influence on my thinking. Believe you me. That is an example of how I can only resort to my personal experience in trying to figure out who to believe.

If you can tell me some other good way to figure out who is right and who is wrong, please clue me in and I'm very serious.
The best way to figure out what is bs is to stop merely listening and start looking. of course there will always be misguided sources, and a slight skew to everything, but using our minds and rationality is what we atheists do best. I like to listen to npr in the evenings, Beck and limbaugh in the mornings. I like the NYtimes too, but i watch faux news when i can stomach it and i love the daily show. I take a varied amount of sources, piece together what makes sense to me, and reject what doesn't add up. there is no one good source, which in my opinion is what keeps my mind sharp.

~as an aside, i've always found truth in humor.. and i've found much more humor in the liberal side of things than in the conservative... which lends itself to the daily show. I know they refuse to taught themselves as news (i don't think they are) and scoff when people say they are, but the humor from the show comes from facts and satire~ if it wasn't true, it really wouldn't be funny

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service