I imagine a lot of people here get drunk occasionally, and sometimes use drugs. As a person who has recently given up drinking (not an alcoholic or anything, just want to give it up for several reasons), I am beginning to see Religion as a self-imposed form of delusion, but also see being drunk, buzzed, or high as the same thing. Question is, can you be a "bright" and still be a "drunk" even an occasional one ? Not that we cant fall off the wagon every once in a while, but to be an advocate for occasional drunkenness or getting high seems to be at odds with being rational. Thoughts?

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just thought I'd add my bit as there is a lot of negativity in the previous string with regards to the 12 step movement...

"... which I didn't actually pay attention to while scanning..." Thankyou. Next!
Though I only occasionally drink (never to excess) and never use illegal drugs, I'm not sure that being rational necessarily requires that everything we do be for cold logical reasons. Sometimes people just like to have fun and we all have different ways of doing that. Occasionally drinking does not make one an advocate for drunkenness any more than eating granulated sugar makes you an advocate for diabetes.
no, I dont think its being irrational at all. I however would never think ill of some one who drinks or does certain kinds of drugs, but like all things it gets old and why would something that impairs rational thought be at odds with it. I was reading something by richard feyman where he was saying something very similar.
I think it is only at odds with being rational if you are using substances known to depress and/or otherwise alter conscious thought as an aid to being rational. Thinking that is a good idea, in and of itself, isn't rational and you haven't really started out on the right foot if you can convince yourself that it is. That being said (and please note I **am** drinking a rather good IPA as I write this, though I am only a few sips into my first of one) if the purpose of using such a substance is to simply relax and not cogitate on eternal verities while being affected by said substance, what the hell... drink up.
There was a very interesting TED talk by a female neurologist or neurosurgeon (memory fails me) last year. She suffered a TBI and spent many months "less than before" during her recovery. She spoke grand words about the beauty and validity of using the "other side" of her brain and noted the beauty and happiness that she found there. She took exhaustive neurological notes of her recovery process over the course of several months.

The idea of the talk is to encourage us to use the "other side" of our brains in order to foster more creativity and happiness.

What I took from that talk is this: "WHAT? YOU NEEDED A TBI TO UNDERSTAND WHAT MOST OF US ALREADY KNOW VIA OCCASIONAL USE OF MIND ALTERING SUBSTANCES!! PLEASE!" I was sad for her, that life before was so flat and narrow, tunnel vision really.

No in truth many animals in nature imbibe and partake...ON OCCASION. But there is a world of difference between occasional use and habitual use. My greatest most inspiring and intelligent teachers in high school and throughout many years of college and university were drunks! (or at a minimum people who partied on a regular basis) My absolute worst teachers were "straights" who saw life through tunnel vision and had no inkling of how to transmit knowledge. There have been a couple of absolute nerds who were good teachers for me, through absolute smiles and patience and character beauty, but these were rare.
The one addiction I would think is more contradictory to atheism is watching sports "habitually" (vs occasionally) on TV. Now there's one I think has more validity!
Interesting. Some of the most boring people in my life are the ones who are always drunk when I see them. It's kinda fun making them do stupid things, but other than than they are pretty low on entertainment value.
Re drunks only or the neurologist's experience as well?
I only have experience with drunks.

On reflection though, I agree they aren't always boring. They aren't boring when they get mad and tell you they are going off to get their gun and they will be back. That sort of thing gets attention. One guy came around lunchtime with a spade and went round my building smashing in the windows on the groundfloor, that wasn't boring at all. The ones at parties who giggle a lot and speak r e a l l y s l o w l y and stare into your eyes and tell you they are reeeeeeallllyyy beautiful.....those guys are pretty dull. They seem happy though. Oh, the ones who grope aren't boring either....and they are cool in that you can push them over quite hard and they don't seem to feel it at all, but they do give you the big brown cow eyes afterwards wondering what they did wrong....wondering slowly that is....*yawn*.

A wine or two is nice social lubricant for people who need it, agreed, but I think you over estimate the charms and useable intellect of the more lubricated members of your club.
Maybe it's a sex thing. Maybe drunk guys are interesting when talking with other guys but just useless when talking to a girl because they think they are suddenly surrounded by hot girls who want to have sex with them and that trashes intelligent conversation.
A ha!, now that's one area where I avoid drunk guys at all costs. As much as alcohol can benefit my own experience with sex, as much as it diminishes guys' capacity! Yep you got me there. When I go out at night, it's never at 'bars' and taverns or 'sport bars', if I go out late at night it's too dance, be on the dance floor all night. That usually steers me clear of the drunk guys sharing pitchers of cheap beer and discussing sports and unwilling females!
A ha!, now that's one area where I avoid drunk guys at all costs. As much as alcohol can benefit my own experience with sex, as much as it diminishes guys' capacity! Yep you got me there. When I go out at night, it's never at 'bars' and taverns or 'sport bars', if I go out late at night it's too dance, be on the dance floor all night. That usually steers me clear of the drunk guys sharing pitchers of cheap beer and discussing sports and unwilling females!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service