Tattoos - Are the godless more likely to enhance what nature started?

I'm curious what other people think. Are the nonreligious more likely to tattoo?

For me, the timing for getting some more ink was about the same time as I started asserting godlessness more clearly, but I don't think that the 2 were causally related.

I carry the bee that Ferdinand the Bull sat on, leading to his misadventure in the bullring; and some additional ink. The Bee had special meaning, plus it fit on my calf better than Ferdinand himself would.

There probably won't be any more for me. I'm curious about the stories that others have to tell about their ink, and if godlessness has anything to do with it.

Searching A|N, I did not find a discussion on this topic.

Tags: tattoo

Views: 636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved ink as a child. All my heroes were military,or gay men in the theatre who would sport small hidden tats. But its the military tats that I gravitate to. I belong to that organization for life, perhaps paying with my life. USMC is stamped down the backside of my left bicep. There will soon be an Eagle Globe and Anchor with the company name I first went into combat with. I have what amount to a jailhouse tat on my chest which will be covered with a spear and Spartan Helmet. I offer no justification, or reason I belong to the military I wish to be marked forever as belonging.
My wife and I had matching tats on our forearms. Chinese characters expressing our love and our rolls in our relationship. These things matter to me. I want them permanently inked into my very skin. Oh I'm also very proud of my scars and make NO effort to hide them. Am I crazy?
SGecko,

You are absolutely not crazy. Well, I don't actually know that, but at least as far as the tattoos you are not. Tats are a form of expression, and a way to proclaim what's important to you, even if in locations that no one else can see. Looking at profile pages, a lot of A|N members have ink. I got one as a teenager that 'good influences' talked me into removing - that the only think I regretted, was removing that tattoo. Long after that, I got more, and never regretted a single one.
There is a beauty in the art of the tatoo, and certainly the often deep (at the time) meaning behind them. I think they are great if that's what you are into, but it is also a huge enterprise that I can't help but see as primitive.
People seem to display body art to attain a reaction also though, much like fashion. Whereas the scars you attain from a life well lived carry a much deeper personal and uniquely situational meaning. I broke my leg badly 10 years ago while making a stupid decison rock climbing and have 3 big scars from the surgery. These among my many other scars from running, falling, and just living large are my tattoos.
If there's a correlation, I'd attribute it to either rebellion or the simple fact that a lot of religions look down on it, or easily both. It's not that I don't believe that the Holy Books are fairy tales, but a lot of kids strike out against religion just to be hip and badass, and tattoos seem pretty happenin' at that time. For anyone non-religious, there's no "moral" reason to avoid getting inked, whereas I can imagine a greater population of Christians avoiding it because it's frowned upon. I think rather than Atheists getting tattoos more, it would be Christians getting them less? Although I can't account for the words of any Christian denomination except the one I came from.

Personally I'm not a huge fan. I'd only really think it looked good if it were a design, which might make it less "personal", and I don't want anything that would get cut off by clothing or look out of place. Plus, my mother would kill me.
My mom has that same level of oversensitivity. Just thought it was interesting someone else out there like you/her.
I've always wanted to get a tatoo, but I didn't want to get something cliche. I wanted it to be something that was meaningful to me personally, and I knew I wouldn't mind having on my body in 50 years.
I've been trying to think up my own ideas and then I saw this...

I wish that I had thought of this on my own. It's the Schrodinger equation stretch out into a ying-yang. I consider Daoism to be pretty compatible with quantum physics and even though the majority of these two very difficult to understand concepts are still poorly understood by me, I really love this tatoo. I've been putting it off mainly because I'm afraid to commit.
I agree, it's very cool. It needs to be fairly large so that the symbols are not too fine - otherwise they may blur. My bee is from a pen and ink illustration from the original "ferdinand" story, and it's holding up well. The photo was when it was new, but now it's been there a few years and I still like how it looks.

Whatever we have on our bodies when we are old - hair turns grey, falls out. Skin gets wrinkled. Stomachs and breasts sag (even on men). Suntans from when we were younger cause much more wrinkling, so even though a tan is cosmetic, the permanent effects later in life are there. Being overweight when young causes infections, skin thickening, diabetes, and arthritis when older. Who cares about a faded tattoo at that point? Hoping that you will still like it in 10 years, or 20, I agree that you have to think seriously about it.

On the other hand, you might be dead next week. Or in 5 years. So then the long term esthetics of the tattoo really didnt matter.

Not trying to tell you to get it - this probably sounds like that, and I really don't want to promote something that you might regret. It really is permanent (or very expensive and painful to remove). Some people are really judgemental about it too. Just saying that if it's something that you really want, I wouldn't let old-age effects stop me.
Some things to add to the discussion -

Here is a website that argues strongly against visible tattoos, stating basically that they can be a career-ender.

here a discussion about a book on tattooed professionals.. here is a sampling from that book (if the link works)

keeping it light...

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart M - Th 11p / 10c
Red Yellow Blue and Black Like Me
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Economic Crisis
That's a great tattoo Daniel.

I've thought about tattoos since I was a teen, but never got one because first, I couldn't make up my mind, and second, after some years had passed, I realized that my tastes would change enough that even having lots of stock in tattoo removal equipment wouldn't be enough.

I used to do a lot of embroidery, which might have been a tattoo substitute.
Well, embroidery DOES involve using needles to apply color to a surface..... :-)

This is what I really wish I'd thought of, but I can't have visible ones at work.
Maybe when I retire.... a long, long time from now.... If I still have a sense of humor.

hahahaha! This is brilliant!
And that's why I don't have a tatoo.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service