I just returned from "A Christmas Carol." A good version of the classic story and good 3D. I was of course disturbed by the religion. The story is really about friends, family, love, and charity, but because of the stranglehold of christianity on our culture, it is infused with religion.

Which made me think about how we need to take back the winter solstice season and reclaim the traditions that christians stole from us. It will take generations to undo the religious impositions, but we need to take a stand where we can.

So what is the best way to do that? I think every atheist should make a point of celebrating Solstice and not christmas.

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We could call it burning man.
Take back the season... from what? Christians didn't "steal" any traditions from non-theists, they "stole" them from old school pagans.

Now is as good a time as any to flog my group, where we discuss seasonal celebrations, among other things: Celebrate!
They took it away from everyone. Whatever religion there may have been around solstice didn't own it either.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Christine replied to Luara's discussion ISIS apparently beheaded James Foley
6 minutes ago
Pat replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Howdy, y'all
12 minutes ago
Rich posted a status
"Well, I'm finally back again. I guess it's only been a month, but it feels like longer. I'm looking forward to getting back into the talk."
13 minutes ago
k.h. ky liked Steph S.'s discussion Without god what's to stop me from raping all I want? Penn Jillette answers
15 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Howdy, y'all
20 minutes ago
Nick Bottom replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Howdy, y'all
39 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Religion the virus of society in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
39 minutes ago
Pat commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
40 minutes ago
Luara replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
42 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
54 minutes ago
Deidre32 liked Steph S.'s discussion Without god what's to stop me from raping all I want? Penn Jillette answers
56 minutes ago
Deidre32 replied to Steph S.'s discussion Without god what's to stop me from raping all I want? Penn Jillette answers
56 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service