The  news of the loss of Robin Williams is saddening. I however can't help feeling that it is the shared delusion of a better place to go that was likely the cause. This is not a new idea as suicide to speed along the journey to "heaven" that caused the church to announce that it was a sin. Those who say religion isn't harmful if practiced alone I believe are mistaken or have never lost a loved one who was alone with their ideas of a better place. Maybe this idea is ill timed, but I have seen many instances where life was lost due to someone hoping for the promised land because their ideas were allowed to manifest unchallenged.

Just my thoughts

Scot

Views: 1872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even more explicitly Wittgenstein said:

Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by language.

Whether there exist genuine philosophical problems is not as clear, but certainly the obstacles posed by language must be overcome before it can be decided.

Wittgenstein also said "Philosophy is the disease for which it should be the cure." Somehow that has always stuck with me.

Yes, I've read old philosophical writings on subjects like physics and found them rife with assumptions. 

This is the disease that philosophy intends to cure.

Short people tend to live longer.  Just like small dogs live longer.  That ought to be consoling to someone short :)

Taller men are favored in careers and dating.  So reassurance from the secretaries probably would not have helped. 

@IdahoSpud:
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.
--Dorothy Parker

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens." --Woody Allen

Hehehe.

In a word... YES.

Not sure whether it was a factor in his decision, but I've always disagreed with the idea of 'a better place'.... If there -is/was- a better place, why would we even be here? Why would we bother with living a 'second' or 'initial' life?

We only get the one life... Which is why it is precious. 

Thank You

Wow, considering this is my first writing of anything online, on an idea that just hit me, I cant say how pleased I am at most responses. Has given me much to think on and I hope more insight will come.

And Religious Jerks will say He's in Hell

Religious jerks will say he's in hell because every religious jerk knows that god is a jealous god. For this reason he created you out of nothing just so you could worship him. You have the choice of worshipping him or not, and if you don't worship him, he will send you to hell. This is because he loves you so much. It makes perfect idiot theist sense.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service