The  news of the loss of Robin Williams is saddening. I however can't help feeling that it is the shared delusion of a better place to go that was likely the cause. This is not a new idea as suicide to speed along the journey to "heaven" that caused the church to announce that it was a sin. Those who say religion isn't harmful if practiced alone I believe are mistaken or have never lost a loved one who was alone with their ideas of a better place. Maybe this idea is ill timed, but I have seen many instances where life was lost due to someone hoping for the promised land because their ideas were allowed to manifest unchallenged.

Just my thoughts

Scot

Views: 1871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"A Splendid Patch of Earth".  Love that title Joan.

And, your "death with dignity" plan sound great.

Happy "whatever you call it", Joan.

After I cleaned the religious crap from my head, I told my sibs to put me away as cheaply as they could and with what's left have a party.

Only one problem: I don't know anyone in my extended family who knew how to party.

Do you remember the 1960s jet setters?

I heard their advice: don't invite Germans to your parties. Around midnight they start feeling guilty because they're not resting for another day of work.

@k.h.....All I can say is, things  have really gone down hill since  I retired  from full time  in 2003.....When I was employed full time  I had  fabulous insurance that was  quite  affordable,premiums  were  partially subsidized by the  employer, and the copay  was minimal....However, after  I had a stroke, I went  part time and  my insurance  reflected that.....Luckily  I stayed  healthy until I was eligible  for Medicare....As soon as my first  physical was given, they discovered  I had  cancer  of the prostate, The surgical  procedure was covered  by Medicare  plus  my supplemental plan.....I guess I have been  fortunate  when it comes  to insurance....I deeply  saddened on  how  bad  it is  for  employees  now......Obama  promised  that the ACA  will improve  our  health care,  lets  hope  he is right...  

Thanks Freethinker. Things have gone down hill. It's almost unbelievable. Good insurance is a thing of the past.

Unless you're a member of congress. Then you can get the best insurance the taxpayer's money can buy.

That isn't true. The congressional insurance  terrible too.

Maybe the worst part is that congressional representatives can afford healthcare entirely paid out of pocket  so they don't care about the commoner any more.

congressional representatives can afford healthcare entirely paid out of pocket  so they don't care about the commoner any more.

How do you know they don't care about the commoner any more? 

Sorry for the absolute statement.

Indeed I shouldn't  have written that.

That "best insurance" you refer to is called Tricare. Some of the initial upset about the ACA was that members of congress would now have to buy their own insurance and this would no longer be free like before. The GOP was very upset about that. There was some measure to make them "exempt" but I'm not sure how well that went over. How could you have a national insurance plan that didn't affect everybody? Tricare, about the best insurance you can get, was originally set up for the military.

The military, their families, and some ex-military will continue to get Tricare.

So they cut congress off Michael? If that's true it's probably the best political news I've heard all year.

Now if taxpayer's could just get ex presidents to pay their own damn living expenses.
I only learned recently that we support them forever. Right down to buying their damned furniture and paying their phone bills.

ACA was supposed to cut congress off but thy were looking for a way around it. I'm not sure how that turned out, but it had the GOP up in arms. 

http://theweek.com/article/index/254747/for-the-last-time-congress-...

Here's a link about it that might show you why the GOP and others are fighting Obama.

You're mistaken. k.h. ky

Look at this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/25/government-spent-nearly-...

There is a lot of money to be made from Education. This is why the R's want to privatize the education system in the U.S.A.

With their objective to break government (which they are doing a great job at) eventually the EPA, FDA and other programs will be destroyed so the vultures can come in and take over these programs.

Some of my relatives use TriCare as retired military. A problem is that there aren't enough VA hospitals around.  In fact as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan picked up congress was cutting funding to VA hospitals.  It's tragic.

There should be a link for them to use local doctors and medical facilities so they don't have to drive 3+ hours one way to go to a qualified member doctor, or hospital.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service