The  news of the loss of Robin Williams is saddening. I however can't help feeling that it is the shared delusion of a better place to go that was likely the cause. This is not a new idea as suicide to speed along the journey to "heaven" that caused the church to announce that it was a sin. Those who say religion isn't harmful if practiced alone I believe are mistaken or have never lost a loved one who was alone with their ideas of a better place. Maybe this idea is ill timed, but I have seen many instances where life was lost due to someone hoping for the promised land because their ideas were allowed to manifest unchallenged.

Just my thoughts

Scot

Views: 1952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hold my tongue for speaking of facts? When I said Google it and find out I was informing you that the U. S. of A. ranks 27 on the list of top health care nations. None of what I posted hints that "I am not satisfied" with my health care, but to be honest here, we could learn a lot if we had a system like they do in France.

Currently I have Coventry Advantage through Medicare, and I also am a vet so I have the VA card in my wallet also. So far my prescriptions are free, and I have a $10 co-pay. That isn't bad, but I still believe what I have written in the first paragraph.

@Michael......What I don't understand is why  people  complain about healthcare even though  they  themselves  are  getting  good  health care...You and I are examples  of  people  getting  decent  healthcare...Sure ,there needs  to be  more  control  over  the greediness of Big Pharma..As I said earlier,our Do Nothing  congress ,has  let the American  people  down.....Better legislation can improve  the  cost  of health care....Governors in southern states can  allow for medicaid  expansion  to help  the poor and disabled... However  most of us are getting  good healthcare despite  all its  faults...

F31, when Michael says the USofA is a long way down the list in healthcare outcomes, he is correct. 

A recent National Geographic compared in a graph the world's nations on healthcare costs and outcomes.

In the USofA, COSTS ARE FAR HIGHER THAN IN ANY OTHER NATION. Outcomes are a long way down the list.

The condition has existed for decades.

It's true that we look like crap when compared with other industrialized nations.

The challenge with any health care system is to find the sweet spot among three factors, cost, quality of care and access to care. One question - how many insurance companies are declaring bankruptcy? They're laughing all the way to the bank while we suffer and bicker pointlessly about how to fix something that the people pulling the strings and benefiting have no wish to fix.

Freethinker, a person can get excellent heathcare if they can afford it. Which leaves out the majority of people. I can't afford to write a check for a balance of 14 thousand dollars on a 24 hour stay. And shouldn't have to.
It's bullshit. And the rich get richer...

k.h......So sorry  about  your horrible  experience...Are you not eligible  for medicaid?   or   maybe  the  state or federal  exchanges?     I was under the impression  that the  ACA , considering  the person took advantage of it, would  eliminate such  obscene  charges.....You have every right  to  be angry..and should report this abuse, if you are in a state or federal exchange....  

Freethinker, we have insurance. That's the deductible and copay! It's a very common problem in working people who used to be middle class. Insurance companies are breaking our backs. Less than twenty years ago our insurance had a 500 deductible. It's gone up to 3500. Plus twenty percent of approved charges after the deductible is meet. It's breaking every family l know. Especially the ones in the middle class who are middle aged.
Obama care is the best thing that's happened. I know a lot of families who had no insurance before it went into effect.

I have severe problems with Obamacare. 

And it doesn't help to be told that most people are happy with it. 

According to a recent national poll, most people are not happy with Obamacare. 

But even if they were, the problem with healthcare systems like this is that bureaucracies and insurance co's have too much power over healthcare.  It should be a matter between a person and their doctor. 

And people with unusual problems like me, fall through the cracks. 

Future. That bag of saline is up to 25 dollars now. Probably more in many areas.
It's much worse than you think.

http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2013/08/27/the-secret-of-sal...

"An older woman and her young grandson were charged $787 and $393, respectively, for "IV therapy." The patients were covered by an HMO under Medicaid and spent just a few hours at the hospital, but the HMO did not reimburse most of the cost of the IV.
One patient privately insured through Aetna at another hospital was charged $91 for a unit of saline solution that cost the hospital 86 cents, according to a hospital spokesperson who told Bernstein that the markup is "consistent with industry standards" and includes "related services and processes." The patient was also charged $127 for administering the IV and $893 for ED services. She ended up paying $100 out of pocket for her visit."

US profit motivated industry standards. Yes, THAT is the problem.

Future, a lot of that is caused by higher pricing that may occur if you have insurance. They explain it away somehow, but how could you get something cheaper without insurance? Sometimes people do. I call this practice double dipping.

I get offended by being charged $45 for a $7 bottle of wine at a restaurant. Referring to paying $91 for an 86 cent bag of saltwater as "industry standard" makes my blood boil.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service