The  news of the loss of Robin Williams is saddening. I however can't help feeling that it is the shared delusion of a better place to go that was likely the cause. This is not a new idea as suicide to speed along the journey to "heaven" that caused the church to announce that it was a sin. Those who say religion isn't harmful if practiced alone I believe are mistaken or have never lost a loved one who was alone with their ideas of a better place. Maybe this idea is ill timed, but I have seen many instances where life was lost due to someone hoping for the promised land because their ideas were allowed to manifest unchallenged.

Just my thoughts

Scot

Views: 1952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I kinda saw his later attempts at stand up to be laden with insults. He went from an exceptional career based on explosive randomness, to politically motivated diatribes, and it didn't work for him at all. I think he just got fed up with the world. He finally met that firey horseman from the Fisher King (one of his better films.)

I'm not familiar with his diatribes, just his movies and Mork & Mindy. 

OK, so he did get insulting and ungentle.  I guess it shows he wasn't doing well. 

Insults aren't meant to be an intelligent interaction. Sometimes people just need to be told they are idiots. The idiots don't get it though. ;)
P.S. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Robin Williams.

It's sad to loose such a great comedian and actor.

It was very sad when one of my brothers killed himself, and it appears it was mostly because he couldn't be as perfect as mormonism wants you to be, and those he knew were also not as perfect, especially the girls he dated.

I'm sorry you lost a brother Idaho.
That would have to be rough.

Thanks K.H. Ky.  Another brother tried to kill himself a couple of times, but must not have been sure about it, as he failed.  I think anyone that is sure about suicide can easily make it work.  

I think he's happier now, as he just married for the third time, and this one is not a looker like the other two.  That says to me that he's learned to go by more than looks.  

She is religious, so his chance of breaking out of religion will be reduced, but I guess that's better than killing yourself.

How sad for you. And how did you cope with the empty spot in your life?

Not sure how I cope.  Gardening is probably the most important.  Watching new life sprouting from old.

I agree Idaho spud......Gardening  can take  your mind  off problems,...Now that I am retired, I do  a lot of gardening  and love it.... As you said, watching new life grow and thrive makes it all worthwhile...So sorry  about  your  brother....

A beautiful way!

In a way, even if there's no afterlife, death is like heaven. I mean, we think of death as this dreadful and depressive event, but that's only we're here still thinking about it. When you die, there's nothing left to think about, worry about, nothing to have anxiety for, consciousness we might assume completely ceases. That would be a "better place" for some individuals.

Perhaps this is what meditation is truly about, the cessation of your volition, and there are individuals that have discipline themselves while they're alive to enter into a sort of death-like state of mind. Meditation is sometimes referred to "the art of dying now."

I've come to accept that heaven is real - it's just not eternal. It's those few NDE moments when you see the brightest white light you've ever seen, and you are comfortably at peace ... then it blanks out, and it's over ... you're done ... for eternity. Not exactly what the theists are preaching.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service