Such a God Assumes You've Done Something to Feel Guilty About, or You Wouldn't Be Worshiping Him

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And the clergy the hymns, and the prayers reinforce this message.  Take away self esteem and then manipulate the congregation.  Sad.

Well of course you've done something to feel guilty about. You were born. And worse yet, when you were conceived, it was done in sin - original sin. Before you came out of the womb, you were a sinner. Forget the fact that you have no ability to consciously remember anything before the age of 3, 4 or 5. And, it doesn't matter if you were conceived in the holy state of matrimony. It's still original sin. Because a walking talking snake conned one half of a teenage nudist couple, the rib woman, into eating from a magic tree. And, to make matters worse, you came down the birth canal of a woman. Something which all religions find to be vile and disgusting. Now, to make matters worse, having been born an imperfect sinner, you live out your entire life as an imperfect sinner. You are, of course, under a godly command to cure yourself or suffer the consequences - eternal damnation. You've done a shitload to feel guilty about, just by being alive.

Now, crawl down on you knees, grovel, and apologize about being born. And, while you're at it, lick the boots of death born out of the fear of the fire of infinity, which, odds are you're going to meet up with anyway.

But god loves you!

I certainly hope time travel is possible. I'd like a word with the a$$ who came up with this stuff. It's caused more grief, delay, dysfunction and death than anyone could have imagined. I'm certain it seemed relatively harmless at the time. I can't help but wonder if they'd have gone through with it knowing it would have such far reaching effect.

Maybe someone can point me to an existing A/N thread for speculation regarding reasons as to how this came to be.

He sure does, Pat, He sure does!  Hallelujah!  Praise the Lord!  Pass that bottle, too.

We should be careful about generalizing to "all religions".

From the neopagan text, the Charge to the Goddess:

Let my worship be within the heart that rejoices, for behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.

Religion: Causing the problems it pretends to solve since 14,000 YBP. ;)

I need that bumper sticker.

I got yer bumper-sticker:

More like the gift that keeps on TAKING.

I agree to the sign that guy is holding.

Don't forget "parental" and "infantilizing."  A very obvious but seldom mentioned theme in religion is childishness.  Christians are urged to be like little children.  The Torah repeatedly refers to the "children" of Israel.  God is our heavenly father.  It all reinforces the ideas of helplessness and dependency. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service