http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z3Ov-2mPYc

The Young Turks' commentary on Michele Bachmann's comment about God mandating that good Christian women are submissive to their husbands.

I'm wondering what the secular community thinks of these remarks by Michele Bachmann about how women need to be submissive to their husbands, and receive permission from the husband to attend school or pursue their dreams in that fashion. Obviously this woman is anti-feminist and has utterly no chance of winning the candidacy. And if she did, I'd be leaving America before anybody else because it would absolutely seal our cultural doom.

I furthermore want your thoughts of her tripping over herself to reconcile the idea of 'being a submissive woman' with it meaning 'being respectful'. I made a comment on Facebook earlier today that couples should respect each other, and if her definition stands, then her husband must also say he's submissive to his wife. Otherwise she admits he does not respect her.

Tags: anti-feminism, bachmann, bible, christianity, feminism, god, gop, michele, old, republicans, More…submission, testament

Views: 703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can bet that she'll be ringing up that Supreme Being in the Sky for divine answers to those tough questions.  Like most Evangelicals, she has a direct hotline to Jesus, remember?  On Meet the Press she made it clear to me that she'll be using prayer as  her chief presidential adviser.

Just imagining that pinhead as our President gives me the willies. Just the fact that she is a (more or less) serious candidate for the job makes me sick to my stomach. It lifted my eyebrows when all of the candidates raised their hands when asked which of them would reject a deal which would have been $10:1 spending cuts to taxes. I wish the mediator would have asked, "what about 20:1? 50:1? 100:1?" Do these morons have no clue when looking a gift horse in the mouth? 10:1 is an AMAZING deal for the right; any Dem who would have voted for such a deal wouldn't last through another election.... But fine, let them stand up for their principles (i.e. selling out to the rich). They will fall with them too - even a majority of people who are conservative now think that the rich should have to pay more in taxes than they do now. And I'm with you, Ava. If that... thing got elected President, I'd be outta this country faster than shit out of a caffeinated goose. Seriously, we'd might as well give the US up for dead at that point.

HELLO SCANDINAVIA! :)
Yeah absolutely. Btw, no use in arguing with MT, he is... well, really beyond words, at least any nice ones. Best thing to do is just ignore him.
I am so tired of seeing her face all over Time and News Week. Just as you stated, she has made alot of historical mistakes and just seems like a space cadet. The only thing she would do in the House is bring America back a few decades.
The main 'beef' I have with Ms. Bachmann is her religious madness. Other than that she's not that repellant as a person ...to me anyway. I respect her for her commitment to her own education... and how can anyone dismiss the authenticity of her demonstrable steadfastness in adopting all those kids? I respect her motives, which are at least, as far as I can tell, unalloyed to greed or lust for power. Having said that, I loathe her political beliefs which are dangerously flawed like all medieval evangelicals, allied as they inevitably are with rabid conservatism.
Isn't it revealing that wherever there is a 'fly in the ointment' of civilization...religion isn't far away? Religion is such a powerfully distorting disease that people who ask outspoken atheists why they bother to attack religion don't even begin to get it!
Sounds good to me.  Of course this has nothing to do with God.  It is human nature that in a sound stable relationship, the wife would be submissive.  In modern society, women are raised to be sluts/bitches, not wives, so these women are not submissive.

I would add that it is politically pointless to try to save Western culture.  Let it rot and eventually be conquered by Islam.  The Muslim conquerors will restore sanity to the relations between the sexes.
Yes Muslim societies are progressing so well, aren't they?   I mean, first they invented the "zero", and then after that they...well...Hmmmm....I guess the absolute pinnacle of the social structure you admire so much was "zero".

Also, what has happened in the Middle East since last week when you posted this, that has transformed it from "totally dysfunctional" to "sane"? 
"And while I think Islamic culture is marginally better than liberal Western culture, I suggest that anyone considering Islam as an alternative first visit an Islamic country.  I have been to Egypt and Jordan, and they are totally dysfunctional.  Islam has its own problems."

http://www.coalpha.org/Nice-post-about-the-West-from-an-Arab-perspe...
That's a lot of progess for 7 days.  Or....you could just be a fool.

Yes, that's it.  A fool who chooses weak-willed female partners so as not to threaten his own insecure self-image.

Yup, that about sums it up.

As a man, I can say if you are intimidated by a female in your relationship or that you NEED someone who is submissive, then you are NOT worth the salt in your body. Respect given is respect earned...
Yep.  Weak men seek submissive women.
Fschmidt: I hope you're kidding here with that 'human nature' statement.  I happen to like living in a modern, secular Western culture.  I am not raising my daughter to be submissive, to be a bitch, or to be a slut.  (Do we get any more choices or stereotypes out of your little grab bag?) And what is this sanity you refer to between the sexes? Can't we be equal partners?  Gender equality is a progressive concept...in cultures where there is gender equality there are indicators of more civil liberties and more civil rights.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service