Hello! In the way of an introduction; I'm so glad to be here. I have explored the site a little and can't believe there are so many members!

As I said in the title, I AM stuck in the closet in the bible belt of Tennessee. I support myself and would suffer at the local level if I came out at this point in my career. It's kinda that risky suffice it to say...

That being said; that's why I've joined here. I want a place to come, make friends, meet people, discuss and commiserate, and vent about my situation. If there's anyone on here in Tennessee, please give me a shout. There are a few other people I've met in Memphis/Knoxville/Chattanooga so I know I'm not alone but it's a very small percent: but growing!

I happen to be an oddity here. I was brought up in an atheist home and am really grateful to my openminded parents for bringing me up that way..waaaaay back in the 60s and yes, right here in the BIBLE BELT of the south in the good 'ol US of A. Furthermore, if there were anyway to find out exactly how many churches are say in 'my town' I would bet money we beat anywhere else in the country for the number of churches per capita.

Anyway; so glad to be here! Looking forward to the forums at the nex!

The website really looks great and has lots of good links to other sites which I love.

I saw some way cool double helix earrings that I just got to have. :)

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A minority hated by a few. The very best revenge is happiness, which is a lot easier with good health.

Booklover, who says revenge isn't fun?

Not me! lol  I like revenge! :)
That got me that your name would appear in a Google search related to this site. Have you actually tried that? Your user is booklover and I'm almost 100% certain that real names are confidential. I'd really like to know the answer to that. I don't think you should worry. I'll be trying that now...Nope...I'm not connected to any search engine. One newspaper story came up about me but you'd have to know me. :) I think you're safe!
Okay.  I'm trying not to be offended that this post sounds like you're actually calling me stupid, but I'll explain.  OF COURSE I Googled my real name and it came up with Atheist Nexus, or I would not have said that it did.  ALSO I DID use my real name when I first signed-up on here because it said FULL NAME and not thinking they would use it, THEY DID.  This was a whole thread on here with people like me who were too dumb to realize it was not confidential.  So I got off of here and got back on with my new name which is booklover.  SO.  Maybe you weren't trying to be offensive, but I don't just talk out my ass.  I know what I'm talking about.  Just be glad you didn't use your real name.  Because mine IS ON GOOGLE NEXT TO ATHEIST NEXUS.  Sorry, your post just pissed me off.  I'm not going to follow this thread anymore even though I'm sure you are a nice person, but it made my blood-pressure go up and there's enough of that in real-life as I'm sure you know.  Have a good day~ Melinda

Welcome PG.

This is an excellent place to get aquainted with like-minded Atheists.  I've been a non-believer since about age 14.  The age when the brain begins to awake to reality, and stops functioning on external commands. 

I'm an aerospace technical engineer, (among a couple of other professions), and also single.  Too bad though, I'm in San Diego.

Welcome again, glad to have you here.

Rick

Thank you, Rick. We already have two things in common. Well, sorta! One, our atheism. And two, space! I'm learning to play an mmorpg called Eve online. Are you familiar with it? It's worth the wait of a download to see the visuals of this game. Spacecraft, from Deathstar-sized ships to little escape pods, dance with grace in anti-gravity deepspace. It's beautiful. I created a toon, her name is Imagine. Imagine Noreligion.

Welcome.  This is a good place to vent and exchange ideas.   Even though I'm "out of the closet," I'm from a small rural town about 3 hours north of you, so I'm familiar with the professional and other risks it can expose one to.  Take care and glad you're here.

Pat

How, if I may ask, did you manage becoming "out"? You must not still be in that small rural town; but that is my life atm. And thank you for your support! I hold all outspoken atheists in great esteem and occassionally I get a chance to be one. It is truly liberating; I have tasted the sweetness of liberation! Before I lived here, I lived in a large city. I came here for the job a few years back. I know of about three other people in this town like us.
I live and work as an attorney in a small rural town in the Southernmost tip of Illinois - a few miles from I-24 and about a 3 hour drive to Nashville. I finally got sick and tired of all the religious BS being paraded around(especially with a former prosecutor who is an evangelical that wears it on his sleeve). Everyone had a pretty good clue as to my leanings, and after I came out, in large part because of the over reaching prosecutor, over half the lawyers around here did and most of the judges admitted it privately. I've successfully made arguments in Court against a harsher sentence for stealing from a church than from a business - comparing the two in terms of raking in $$$ and arguing that the businessman was of greater worth to the community because at least he gives something of value in return. I guess it helps that I have a pretty good reputation as a lawyer around here, as it does not seem to have hurt my business. Plus, I have the advantage of working for myself. As an aside, I had a judge laughing out loud one day, when the prosecutor was wearing a tie that showed a graphic depiction of the crucifixion, and I had mine which simply said "This is What an Atheist Looks Like." Everyone got the point.

You're one of those "out there"! atheists. Grats to you, too. When I become independently wealthy; I bet I'll join you. Just not yet. 

Good that the judge agreed with you on that, wasn't that taking a risk?

Well, anyway, love the tie.  

Makes a great Father's Day, Birthday, or other present.

http://www.zazzle.com/look_atheist_tie-151255331394237112

Hello.

I just wanted to invite you to a church per capita challenge. :)  I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Our town has been known for decades as "The City of Churches" later changed to "The City of Churches and Stoplights", Lol!  It has been said(with no proof of course) that we have the most churches per capita.  I will try and research this and get some statistics.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service