Enough is enough! 

There has been way too much silliness and name-calling on Nexus lately. People are joining groups they disagree with simply to argue with group members. Others are stalking and chasing members around the site simply to harass them. Thin-skinned or not, this has caused visits to Nexus to be a chore for many, and a few have left the site. 

The only qualification to be a member of Nexus is to be a nontheist. Other than that we are a community. Civil debate is welcome in the forum, but should not be tolerated in individual groups (unless this is the purpose of the group), and on member pages.

If you are unsure what is acceptable behavior, check out the Site Rules. If you are having a problem or you notice anyone violating the rules, please use the "Report an Issue" link at the bottom of every page. 

Finally, I am seriously considering adding the title of the below Phil Plait speech to our rules.

Click to open video in a separate window: Don't Be A Dick

What do you think? Good idea or not? I am interested in any feedback and open to solutions. I'm not looking for complaints.

Be forewarned that NO member names will be allowed in comments.

Tags: Phil, Phil Plait, Plait, Rules, Site, site rules

Views: 175

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

People are joining groups they disagree with simply to argue with group members. Others are stalking and chasing members around the site simply to harass them.

The only qualification to be a member of Nexus is to be a nontheist. Other than that we are a community.

I couldn't agree more. About time A|N address this issue.

Thanks.
Civil debate is welcome in the forum, but should not be tolerated in individual groups (unless this is the purpose of the group), and on member pages.

This didn't quite parse for me, Richard. Would you clarify, please?

Also, I think we should refrain from slang and "cutesie" in our rules, since we are an international site.
How's the form, me auld mucker?
Sorry for the confusion.

My meaning is this: If you are Republican don't join a Democrat group to debate. If you are a vegan don't join a meat-eating group to make converts.

My comments about member pages is in response to comments made on individual profile pages. Some like to go to another's page to call them names.
Thanks. I understood everything you wrote except for the "civil" bit. This helps.
But...conversation and open air public debate is all about just that. If I start a group called "atheists who believe in god" and make public, errant statements about atheists in my group, others should be able to call me on it in that context...a la picketing outside westboro baptist church under their "god hates fags" signs. If they simply said "god hates fags" inside their building to each other, no one would bother them.

The problem with groups is their comments and content are public(A/N site wide), and so they should be publicly accessible for rebuttal.

But then, I also think people should not be allowed to close comments, block comments, or delete comments. Just because you start a conversation doesnt mean you own it, or should anyway.
@ryan: I understand your point, and I agree when applied to the public forum.

About the groups:

• First, we would never approve a group that didn't abide by our nontheist purpose. The same goes for any group created to demean any particular group of nontheists or dangerous to mankind.

• Second, all the issues we have had with groups have been topics that are not black and white issues. As I stated earlier: "If you are Republican don't join a Democrat group to debate. If you are a vegan don't join a meat-eating group to make converts." We all have strong opinions on these issues, and pick and choose the evidence that sides with us.

• Third, if a group's purpose is to encourage debate, it should be stated clearly in the group description, and be title as such (i.e. Pro-Choice vs Pro-Life).

• Finally, during the unexpected and exponential growth beginnings, these things should have been clarified. Unfortunately, they were not. Many groups have no leadership and many are redundant. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon. Any volunteers?
I'm more or less a 1st amendment absolutist so I say put on your thick skin but stalking crosses the line for me.

Is a reverse ignore possible? Something that would make your profile and posts invisible to a specific individual. Out of sight out of mind.
Hi Fred

I think you've made a very important point where the groups are concerned.

There is going to be debates in the groups because as you said, there are differences in opinion amongst the Buddhists, Naturalists, Feminists, et al.

I don't think this is what Brother Richard was talking about, but if it was then it's important to either acknowledge that those differences will exist and will result in sometimes heated debate or allow for groups with multiple orientations.

Personally, I see no harm in having a single group of Naturalists or Feminists for example who hash out their differences, even if heatedly.

In my opinion, that's a healthy and constructive process.

Holding grudges and stalking people is unhealthy no matter what the circumstances.

And as John D and Sacha have stated name-calling should be seen in context and honesty, doing research, expressing opinions strongly shouldn't be a problem for grown ups who don't carry grudges or stalk and abuse in response to disagreements.
@Fred: You make some good points. However, you miss mine entirely. No, you can't go around calling people names and joining groups to do so.

Saying, "I disagree, or you might be misinformed," good.
Saying, "You are an idiot, or STFU," bad.
Thanks for the clarification.
Fred,

How can anybody be mean to you? Even if you violate some rule or another, you clearly have no intent to cause harm. But the name-callers are in a different league. They don't think like you. You are ill-equipped to deal with them.

Thank God.

You stay ill-equipped. That's a good thing, believe me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service