http://www.care2.com/causes/missouri-gop-close-session-with-more-an...

frankly, i could have picked any one of hundreds of articles to link to, but a particular quote from a Missouri GOP State Rep struck a chord with me:

“This is about sending a message to the federal government that we don’t like things rammed down our throat.”

this kind of rhetoric is becoming increasingly commonplace.  while many laws are allowed to be set by the States, some things are Federal territory - things like civil rights, for example.  but some areas of our country have become so Religious that they are attempting to bypass any Federal law that goes against their Religious beliefs. 

in this case, the law in question is the Obamacare mandate requiring contraceptive care.  this is not the Bishops at it again, but this Bill is essentially a state version of the "Respect the Rights of Conscience Act" that was shot down in the Senate 2 months ago.  this isn't about Catholic employers, but ANY employer who wishes to deny it's employees any kind of healthcare that goes against their conscience. 

while the issue itself is complex (and absurd), the idea behind it is what i'd like to discuss.  suddenly, we find ourselves in a country where States are directly taking on the Federal gov't.  they are making laws and daring the Administration to "come and get them".  we've seen this in states defunding Planned Parenthood, such as Texas and Arizona.  in Texas, the Feds said that they would defund the state's total Women's Health Program.  to that threat, Texas has said, "good, us too".  so much for our Gov't having teeth. 

in Mississippi, they have successfully all but eliminated abortions through legal means.  abortion in Mississippi may be legal, but good luck trying to get one there.  where has the Federal gov't been to defend it's citizens from laws that abolish a federally protected right? 

now Missouri is joining the fun, sticking a proverbial finger in Obama's face, all but daring the gov't to do something about it.  perhaps they are gun shy during this election year.  or maybe they are waiting for the SCOTUS ruling on Obamacare.  but what i find shocking is how brazen these state houses are being at snubbing the Federal gov't, and with all things, Obama's biggest accomplishment  - his Healthcare Plan.  you'd think he'd be all over this like white on a Republican.  yet i hear crickets from his side, and very loud, viscious, and daring speech on the other. 

perhaps this "poll" is what is happening out there in Jesusland:

http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/3-in-4-say-religious-rights-trump-law/

i put poll in quotations because of the source (forgive me for linking WND) - it was conducted by the Knights of Columbus.  yet, even if it's a flawed poll and doesn't represent the vast majority of Americans, it says that 3 of 4 people think Religious Rights should be put above the law.  even if it's 3 out of 4 totally batshit crazy wing-nuts, that is a scary thing for so many people to believe.  it's the kind of belief that leads to serious stand-offs, and not just in the Courts.

the idea of "no-compromise" is spreading from the Republican politicians to Republican citizens.  they see their leaders setting the example, and i fear they are following them to a T.  and just like much of the nonsense we are seeing from Republican politicians, it stems from Religious beliefs.  at some point in time, the role of Religion in American law and politics needs to be re-defined.  right now, the line is too blurry. 

we hear that there is a War on Religion in America, and they may be right.  will the Federal gov't have the guts to take on this War and remind the entire country that Religion has it's place, but it is not in our secular laws or gov't.  will the Federal govt, regardless of who is in the White House, stand up to States that are egregiously making laws that violate Federal law?  will the Federal gov't stand up for citizens that live in States that are denying citizens their rights?  God i hope so. 

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'll add this one to the list. 

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/06/3644739/florida-gov-scott-appe...

for anyone who has been following Florida's voter purge this won't be new news, but it's yet another example of a state telling the Feds to fuck off. 

ha.. you mean corporate (fascist owned) states? that don't allow atheists in office? hugh ya mean like catholics only costa rica? (wiki that tiz tru)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/30/obama-health-care-law-gove...

this is becoming something of a trend.  so at least 3 states Governors have said they simply won't comply with the Affordable Care Act.  i'm sure it's just posturing, but since when has it been ok to tell the Federal Government to go fuck themselves? 

Obamacare might be the straw that broke the camel's back for the secessionist crowd.

Talk about some sore-assed losers. The cable news squawk box was filled with them yesterday. I especially liked the interview of John Boehner (Speaker of the House and national tear duct from Cincinnati, OH) on Meet the Press. While expressing his phony outrage over the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act, he suddenly started getting uncomfortable. He was asked about specifics in the law, e.g. not getting booted for pre-existing conditions, keeping children on till age 26, coverage for minor children, and the penalty (tax) being substantially less than what Mitt Romney had passed in Massachusetts, and if he would gut those provisions.  No answer.  Then, he was asked about the specifics of what he proposed in its stead. No answer. The poor guy started sounding like Porky Pig, "Well, uhh, uhh, ba-dee, ba-dee, ba-dee, that's all folks." The poor slob couldn't think of one single thing. 

Strangely enough, when Rep. Senator Orin Hatch proposed an individual mandate in 1993 as an alternative to Clinton's health care proposal, he garnered a number of Republican supporters, including Newt Gingrich. I guess it's only when the black guys proposes it, that the US will cease to exist.

i was with my mom and her husband when the ACA ruling came down.  my step father was devastated.  when i asked him about individual parts of Obamacare, specifically about pre-existing conditions, he said "no, they shouldn't be covered.  they made their bed.  if it's bad luck well that's just their lot in life." 

that is what Conservatives feel but cannot say.  sad and a wee bit scary.

Almost, makes you wish they get sick

"national tear duct from Cincinnati, OH" That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while! hahaha

What an awesome reply Pat! That's a pretty accurate perception of the Orange-a-fide John Boehner! Every time I see him he looks like the guy who is still at the bar long after last call!

I'm not sure what's more pathetic. The fact that they lie through their teeth or the fact their Constituency is too stupid to know the difference.

i get emails from my Mom about Obama all the time which include flat out lies.  when i point them out, i always ask her, "do you like to be intentionally lied to in order to influence your opinion?".  she says she doesn't but she must. 

People will believe in whatever rationalizes their fear, or fuels their hate.

I work for the department of mental health. We provide mental health services for people who have government paid health insurance.

I have a coworker who is constantly ranting about how "Obama is socializing health care and it’s going to be the death of this country!”

I have listened to her rant about this since 2009. Last week I turned to her and finally asked, "How can you hate socialized health care so much, but have no problem cashing the check you get from providing it?" *crickets* She became as silent as a church mouse.

Sometimes exposing how ridiculous the rhetoric is helps quiet the noise stupid makes.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service