Around 6th grade I cams our about my atheism, much to my OLD friend's dismay. I guess he tolerated it for a while, because we didn't even talk that much anyway. Soon enough, he expressed his disatisfaction like any fundy would: grabbing some other friends and throwing uneducated "proofs" at me. After some other 1 on 1 arguments, and some unfriendly words, he finally snapped. The net in the locker room, he swipes at my books to knock them down, but to prevail. Following up on his threat to "kick my ass" the other day. So me, seeing this as a great opportunity; not initiating the fight, push him back. He looked shock as if he expected me not to fight back. He was in for a bitter surprise. Not to explain the fight in detail, basically he kept swiping punches retreating back, all the while saying "you can't fight, you can't fight" he keep retreated while we kept exchanging punches, until some kids broke up the fight. Gym teacher came in, and sent everyone out, except me and Trenton. Asking what initiated the fight, we told him what did initiate the fight. It was over someone else's dollar, ironically. Then he said the fight was petty. I told myself "really?" and I almost chuckled. He said that if it happened again, we'd get sent to the office. Being happy about no consequences, I went upstairs to the gym to line up. Nervous about what people would say, I slowly went. To my surprise, there was a crowd around where my line would be. There was a lot of comotion and when I approached it, lots of people went around me and started congradulating me. A girl who he recently harassed, calling her a crack baby, hugged me. She also happened to be my crush. He'll yeah. So going to our next class there was a lot of discussion about it. Being the popular kid for a while, I just decided. To bask in the light for a while, happy for standing up and defeated my hated enemy. Oh, how could I forget this part? Get this: he CRIED afterwards to the female gym teacher, looking for sympathy. The male couch who broke it up had to yell at him in the hallway, when he was still crying. Hell yeah. But here's the kicker: he tried starting rumors that HE won. Lol. So fast forward to today, he's trying his luck by harassing me again. But he's doing it subtly, like writing "god is real" on my nametag. He went a little too far today by saying "god bless you" right when I got off the bus. I confronted him online, him saying he was onl being nice. He himself knew this was not true. We got into an argument again. And when I called him an insecure punk, he said "insecure I'll kick your ass*". So then I mention him crying after our first fight, he actually DISABLES his messaging and says nothing more. I felt satisfied. But I also have reason to suspect he'll start another fight, even though he knows I won't hold back. So, long story short, I stood up to a fundy twice, and possibly a third time tommorow.

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And sorry for typos, auto correct on iPod sucks.
Glad you stood up for yourself, and at such a young age.  Very brave.  I would point out to him that if his 'god' is good and loving, then 'he/she/it' would not approve of his behavior.  Show him by example that You are the one with the better morals.
@book
Of course I had already pointed it out, but he said he is trying to spread the message and bring me to the light. You can't expect to reason with him. He also talks behind my back, and tries to get my best friend in on it. Fortuneatly mine are loyal, so he defends me when he brings it up. He stil hangs out with them.
I agree with booklover.  Show by example who has the better ethics/morals.

While I'd like to congratulate you for standing up for yourself, I also want to caution you to stop resorting to violence so much.  Soon, you will get end up in a physical fight where you may cause actual damage to a person and end up held legally responsible, or face severe negative consequences.  Worse yet, you may not win one, and be left forever scarred in a way that you may come to regret.  Remember, as an atheist, this is the ONLY life you have to live.  Try to live so that you never leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth.  

If I were you, I'd start learning how to fight with words.  Pick out Bible verses to use against this boy.  My favorites are:
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."  Jesus, as quoted in John 8:1 - 11
"Judge not, lest ye be judged."  Jesus, as quoted in Matthew 7:1
You may even want to study up on sites like here and www.evilbible.com so that you are armed with knowledge of common misconceptions most Christians hold about the Bible, Jesus, and historical figures since that time.

Oh no, it's nowhere near life threatning. The kid has to be a whole 6 inches shorter to me, And I have no intention of causing real damage. It's only 7th grade.

You are a growing teenager.  Your own strength is far greater than you realize.  Also, you are only a few short years from being considered a legal adult, and even so, if you are shown to be a violent person, you may face adult charges of assault and/or battery even earlier.  I've known 15 year olds who have been given life in jail, or sentences longer than they've been alive, for fights.

You do not want to throw your life away on people defending fairy tales.  You want to show how much better your life becomes because you don't depend on an invisible friend to do the heavy/hard work for you.  Work hard, keep your head straight and your nose clean.

It was just a petty fight. The worst injury that happened was a red cheek. It's not that serious.
I understand.  However, in the future, please try to take steps to avoid fighting, as you may not be so lucky.
True, but basically any fight can inflict serious or lethal damage. He is backing up from you smacking him, slips on some puddle from the showers in the lockers, and cracks the back of his skull open on the sink or toilet or cement floor. Or you get a good punch at him as he tries to dodge, and send bone shards from his nose into the frontal lobe of his brain. Or he thinks he is losing and pulls a knife, even a simple pocket knife, and you end up with two inches of steel in your body. Or he gets tired of you kicking his ass in your tiffs and decides to bring a gun to school. My point is, any fight can easily become deadly. Admittedly you have more experience fighting than I do, as I have never been in an actual fight in my life, so maybe I'm exaggerating the danger, but do be careful.
You are absolutely not exaggerating your danger.  You're also focusing on a far more immediate problem than I was.  As teen boys age, their strength increases far faster than they realize, especially once that adrenaline kicks in from the excitement of being in a fight. 

Even without that, I could even break a bone without intending so, if I were to end up in a fight, and I'm just a 5'2 nothing of a girl.  Adrenaline is a huge motivating factor in making your muscles push harder than you can even realize.
True, but basically any fight can inflict serious or lethal damage. He is backing up from you smacking him, slips on some puddle from the showers in the lockers, and cracks the back of his skull open on the sink or toilet or cement floor. Or you get a good punch at him as he tries to dodge, and send bone shards from his nose into the frontal lobe of his brain. Or he thinks he is losing and pulls a knife, even a simple pocket knife, and you end up with two inches of steel in your body. Or he gets tired of you kicking his ass in your tiffs and decides to bring a gun to school. My point is, any fight can easily become deadly. Admittedly you have more experience fighting than I do, as I have never been in an actual fight in my life, so maybe I'm exaggerating the danger, but do be careful.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service