Today is St. Patrick’s Day, commemorating Ireland’s conversion to Christianity in the fourth century by an Englishman, who was later declared a Catholic Saint.  Today, Ireland is one of the most Christian nations in the Western World.  The Protestants and Catholics of Northern Ireland are deeply divided, with a long and bloody history of sectarian violence.   

St. Patrick's Day - not an event or day which I will be celebrating.

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

St. Patrick's day celebrates the extinction of Celtic culture and independence...  It should really be recognized as a national tragedy. Now at this late date the Celts as a people seem to be headed for extinction.

>The Irish fight for and win independence from Britain (or more accurately the Catholics would prefer to serve one master... the pope, not the queen)

> Ireland joins the undemocratic EU, giving up much of their autonomy soon after wining their independence from the British, a people much less foreign than the EU structure (that famous [plutocratic/Marxist?] melting pot of mostly black African and Muslim refugees who are set to turn their host nations into the very hellholes they are/were trying to flee from).

>Short economic boom thanks to whore like policies (pro-corporate, pro-EU, and anti-nationalist/native-Irish) that bring short term gain for the traitorous elite

>Irish banking collapses - the foolish/cowardly/evil elite in control of the government bail out (with taxpayers money) the thieving evil banking/corporate elite = solve theft with theft.

>Irish enslaved to international banking cartel.

>Ireland flooded with refugees that the media and government say are just as Irish and the biologically native Irish. The justification is always that 'they do the jobs we don't want and boost the economy' Meanwhile native Irish emigrate because there is no work/future in Ireland.

>Native Irish have virtually no children while the non-Irish mostly black/Muslim refugees have many children = demographic doom for the Irish people.

>Christianity, EU, banking cartel, PC media = destroyer of nations

> You do not want to have the "luck of the Irish"

>Sadly many European nations are embracing the woefully 'diverse Irish luck'

Same here!! In school they used to pinch you if you didn't wear some sort of green today. Weird custom - anyone else have this happen to them in school. It was a private school - I'm not sure if this happened in the public school system.

I think that's a custom in a lot of places in the US Steph.  Americans are silly.

Happened in my public school.

It's one of my closest friends birthday today.  She has a shamrock tattoo.  We don't talk about religion much.  She 'believes'.  Her husband is an Atheist and she won't acknowledge it.  I've talked about being an Atheist with him a couple of times.  I think she just pretends he really is a believer.

You want a discuss a country and people who have been raped and brutalized by religion? Go no farther than Ireland. From Strongbow in 1172 C.E., to Oliver Cromwell the butcher, the Napoleonic invasion of of 1798, to the "troubles" of present day Ulster.  The bad joke of Ireland is when you're being kidnapped by a man with a gun wearing a balaclava (ski mask) who asks you if your a protestant or a catholic.  You answer, I'm an atheist.  The next question is, are you a protestant or catholic atheist.

I have personal knowledge of this, having been hauled into a British torture chamber in Belfast in 1972, at machine gun point, because I had the wrong name.

I felt an IRA bomb in Camden Town, London in the early nineties. The IRA had warned Police that the bomb was at the Underground station which duly evacuated. Instead, the bomb was placed 400 m down the street which was crowded with people.

It's funny because there where a lot of Irish people living in London at the time.

Notwithstanding, St. Patricks day was well celebrated in pubs and public places and everyone drank and had a good time. Everyone was welcome.

Read an article once about how St. Patrick's was a mostly Irish American celebration, and it migrated from our shores back to Ireland, with all the silly things it entails. It was meant to celebrate Irishness as seen through the lens of immigrants descendents. Most Americans of Irish descent don't understand the troubles or their own Irish culture. To them, it is just a day for fun. How sad to be proud of your heritage, and not take the time or trouble to understand it.

Thanks, everyone, for your interesting and enlightening comments.

Wow...that's what St. Patrick's Day is all about?  Interesting.

I have no idea how factual any of this is, but found it interesting:

Roots of the celebration of that great Irish saint Patty O’furniture

Excerpt from article by Charles Clayton in Mountain Gazette magazine:

… The best most of us can come up with is something about Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland, which is actually code for Christianizing the natives and (spiritually) exterminating the pagans and their beliefs, as actual snakes never have existed in Ireland, at least not since the end of the Pleistocene. So puking up green beer after hitting on chicks with “Kiss me, I’m Irish” pins is nothing less than a sacred ritual honoring the efforts of Christian missionaries circa A.D. 500.

Sounds like something any good monotheist should be able to rally around: destruction of the heathens and the spread of the Good News, even if it was in the form of Catholicism. But like Valentine’s Day — a Catholic Saint Day scheduled by the early church to supplant a preexisting pagan ceremony — St. Patrick’s holy day was draped over a Roman fertility holiday: according to legend, St. Patrick died on March 17th, which, according to historical fact, also marks the date of the annual pre-Jesus Roman festival of Liberalia honoring Liber Pater (“Free Father”), an Etruscan god of fertility and vegetation, especially the grape and the wine that is made from it. On this day, devotees would drink copiously and march through the countryside carrying a huge phallus, which would later be crowned with a vagina-like wreath of flowers, the whole shebang intended to bring fertility to the land and protection to the crops, many which would already be planted and growing well in the temperate Mediterranean climate.

As the Roman Empire spread throughout Europe, holidays like Lupercalia took root in the farthest-flung reaches of the empire, albeit in forms tailored to local conditions and preexisting beliefs and rituals — a common occurrence religious scholars refer to as “syncretism.” Viewed through the stereoscopic lenses of changing seasons and the vital importance of agriculture, St. Patrick’s Day is likely a remnant of a holiday commemorating the end of winter (the Equinox falls a few days later) and the return of spring, this time for good, as well as the beginning of planting season. Viewed through the ancient worldview of sympathetic magic — that a person can effect a change by imitating it — the wearing of green was a way to honor the changing season as well as to help the process along, particularly in the chillier and grayer areas of the sprawling empire, such as Britannia and Gaul.

But, what about the corned beef and cabbage? The leprechauns and the drunkenness? The corned beef and cabbage reflects the realities of the late, late winter season: down to the dregs of food stash, with nothing left to eat but last year’s salted (“corned”) meat and a few cabbages and potatoes beginning to rot in the root cellar. The leprechauns are probably relics of the once-widespread belief in a variety of faerie folk who once held — in uniquely place-specific forms — spiritual sway across all of Europe and beyond. In this case, they’re foul-mouthed cobblers known for hoarding treasure and occasionally getting drunk and causing trouble. Which brings us to the drunkenness, which may stem from the fact that Liberalia was a holiday especially popular with the Roman plebeians — working-class stiffs and other riffraff — and evolved (some might say devolved) into a drunken festival of free speech and self-expression, as well as the breaking of social and sexual boundaries, and what better way to fuel that sort of revelry than getting wasted?

Very interesting, with similarities to many other pagan holidays adopted and adapted into Christianity.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service