Recently my 15th birthday was upon me,this is about what my grandparents decided to do.And my Rage that followed
So my dad has these weekly phone conversations with my grandparents telling them how me and my siblings are and what not. It was one of these times my dad was telling his parents that their grandson is an Atheist.(Note to readers: My Grandparents are strongly religious,but not practicing Christians.) So when my birthday came by, or a few days after I got a package in the mail. When I opened the package just so happened to be the day my grandparents call,Meh right? Wrong.
Inside that conspicuous box, was the spit in my face.By both my dad and them. A bible, Not a normal one but a teen one which they just so happen to get me for my birthday.Perfect timing may say them. Not only was I steaming mad, I was forced to thank them for it.They said "if you ever have doubt in yourself you can open it up" Yea I have a school consular which I could tell anything to. But this,She has a few crosses in her office which makes me feel uncomfortable with this situation,if it ever came up.My dad shouldn't have done this, Almost betrayal, I've talked openly about my atheism to him and he did this?Feeble mindedness mess...
How should I go about this? They want to sign it when they come for a visit in April.What should I say to them when they ask? I know it sounds disrespectful to them but I need your opinon,My friends were no help.
Thanks for reading and such.
-Andrew

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A few more options:

1) Give them a copy of a book like Hitchens' "God Is Not Great" or Dawkins' "The God Delusion". Or, if you want to give them something that just explains the Big Bang, Evolution, etc. without really bashing religion, give them a copy of Potholer54's "Made Easy" series on DVD.

2) Give them a copy of the Quran or the Book of Mormon. Makes as much sense to give this to a Christian as it does to give a Bible to an Atheist.

3) Read the Bible and explain all the sins they are committing and tell them they will go to Hell if they don't change their ways.

4) Read the Bible and tell them you believed the Old Testament, but not the New Testament and you are converting to Judaism.
Ohhhh,I d0 like these ideas!
perfect idea for christ mas gifts!!
That's terrible!

At the end of the day though, like people have said, the Bible is something every atheist should be familiar with. Read it, note down the ridiculous bits, the racist bits, the sexist bits, the genocidal bits and everything that doesn't make sense. A good knowledge of the Bible prevents people you're discussing religion with retreating behind their holy book - because you'll probably know it better than they do.
Just don't be polite. Throw it away and tell them. Make your message clear. You're a teen, you have the age to do stuff like that.
And also tell them you were FORCED to thank them,in reality,it's the sorriest excuse for a gift you ever got and they should be ashamed of themselves trying to ram their beliefs down your throat.
And ask them how they feel about these bits ;
Psalm 137:9
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Of an unbetrothed virgin

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days. -- Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Of prisoners of war

And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. -- Numbers 31:15-18
Yea Theres only some racy parts in this one,they are either edited out or rephrased.
Thanks for all the replies and support!:D
tell them its the funniest book you ever read then ask them who wrote this satire
Why did you have to thank them for it?

When I received a Bible as a gift and was told to say "thank you," I replied that saying so would be lying, as I was not thankful that I received the Bible. I then asked, "Would you want me to break one of your precious commandments?" It proved the point and I did not have to say "thank you." ;)

Sounds disrespectful to them? What about the disrespect to you?

As has been suggested, you could take advantage of the situation and talk to your grandparents about what you've "read" in the Bible and ask about the contradictions, inconsistencies, etc.

Or you could do what I did... threw the damn thing in the trash. But I'm evil like that. hehe
You can read it to them. Honestly Andrew, the bible is the cause of atheism, not the protection from it. Go ahead and start reading it. The stuff you see will blow your mind.

The best part is that you can point it out to your dad and grandparents. It's a bible, after all. And we're not just talking inconsistency. There's some mad immoral stuff in there. Good luck getting through Judges.

I'm talking about women in sexual slavery being cut up into twelve pieces. Jews slaughtering thousands, and then declaring that, among all the OTHER GODS, theirs is the most powerful. Women being forced to hide their babies and afterbirth from their other children, for themselves to eat so they don't starve.

They asked for it, Andrew. Give it to 'em.
if you want to be respectful to them when they obviously have none for you which is the easiest and most peaceful route just play along and humor them. if you want to have long drug out conversations with them riddled with their lame excuses for the discrepancies, contradictions, and immorality that you find therein hoping to drive some sense into them which may or may not happen then highlight away and ask about the slavery, genocide, infanticide, and historical inaccuracies. if you have the energy to take the long hard road, be brutally honest and prepared for the "love" and "family values". i found it to be shocking that they are both so conditional when i was young.
i myself am tired of being respectful to those who i have little to no respect for. i'm fed up of having to be polite for other people's social expectations and nothing more. i'd just take the long and hard road. one last bit of advice though. instead of letting them make you angry, just outwit them and let them be the ones to get emotional. keep a cool head about this and refuse to allow them to antagonize you.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service