So...

I have been attending my local Unitarian Universalist church for some time ever since my friend Helen introduced me to it, I believe that there is wisdom, truth and knowledge to be found in all of the world religions and practices even if its just a small sliver of each and I enjoy engaging in and attending various ceremonies and celebrations when the church hosts them whether its the Christmas Pageant at the end of the year or a drumming circle or a Wiccan festival of lights.

I also have randomized ritual days where I spend the day doing various things such as reading, burning candles, incense and sage, spirit dancing, meditation, Yoga, walking on the beach, whatever I can do to connect to my Inner/Deeper Self better and of course Improve myself and also to connect to nature.

When I mention my so called spiritual ideas and practices to the church, they just say, well you are a spiritual Atheist, no big deal...when I mention it to the majority of my Atheist contacts they think I am either Agnostic or confused which I am neither.

I am not only a strong Atheist but I am also a skeptic and a materialist but coming from a Pagan background I do still believe in ritual to calm myself once a week (The whole day) and various tecniques to follow through on this idea and so I am confused as to whether or not I can be spiritual and an Atheist or rather whether I should be, because I know you can, I am but should I be, should I find a different term to describe myself?

do I sound like some kind of ...I dont know, what religion out there is non theistic and allows me to connect to my inner/deeper self and nature and engage in various ceremonies and practices, I have always just said I am Eclectic....

I explored Pantheism a bit but they believe in God and I dont. Semantics perhaps?

I dont know.

SIGH

Tags: Paganism, Pantheism, Spiritual, UU, Unitarian, Universalism

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point about inner/deeper self. Such terms are vague and don't really mean much, although meditation and other rituals can sometimes get us in touch with thoughts we often ignore or aren't aware of; I suppose "deeper self" can be a metaphor for that.

As for the definition of atheism, dictionaries have acknowledged both the active and passive forms of atheism since about the mid 17th century, if I remember correctly. The following article doesn't give definitions that far back, but it provides some dictionaries from the early 19th century that encompass both definitions:

http://atheism.about.com/od/definitionofatheism/a/dict_standard.htm

In these definitions atheists are those who don't believe in gods: it doesn't tell us anything else about atheists or what they believe or do not believe, other than that they do not believe in gods.

James

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service