Will you learn it? Do you know how to speak it? In our area, i just heard about some school workers (bus drivers, cafeteria, faculty? - I was half asleep, but i remember it being school employees) having to learn spanish to hold their job. I'm seeing more signs at restaurants in spanish, like "order here" at Wendy's. At Walmart, i choose english or spanish at the self checkout. I have to say that i don't like it, and don't want to learn spanish. What's your opinion on learning spanish. Will you do it. Are you for it, against it? Also, i'm curious about what changes are going on in other parts of the country. Feel free to comment on that. examples: (road signs, store signs, job requirement, menu, non english speaking customer service workers, etc.)

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that. I'd heard Esperanto was created to be an easy universal language.
In my experiences in my Spanish classes, most of the class sat, silently, trying to get by and get their requirements for graduation, a few asked dumb questions and could only remember "mantequilla" = "butter" 'cause it looks like "man with tequila", and a few accelled or excelled or whatever that word is.

Really, I found the content quite easy. If you get dropped in the deep end, you'll drown, but if you're introduced to a few phrases and verb conjugations, it's ony a pain until you think in all the conjugation-relevant categories. Well, there's that and the issue of having to listen for adjectives AFTER you hear the relevant noun, instead of shutting off your adjective-listening (starting from English, this was how I was and what I had to do) upon hearing a noun.

As long as you don't talk like a fucking moron and have no sense of what words actually mean, doing well will follow naturally simply from trying.
What's your source of information that school employees in your area are going to have to learn Spanish to hold their jobs?

I already know some Spanglish. What's the big deal? I have friends who are fluent in anywhere from two to six (or more) languages. A friend who grew up in an old Jewish neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio years ago remembers seeing signs in at least four languages in many stores. It only makes sense for business owners to accommodate their patrons.

Vermont is on the Quebec border. The closer one gets to the border, the more signs in French and English one sees. This only makes sense, as people live, work, and visit on both sides of the border. We get a lot of people from Quebec shopping and/or touristing in Vermont. I haven't heard anyone complain about signs in French. Some places specifically hire people who speak both English and French... that makes sense.

As long as you are accommodated, what makes the difference?

Before any Europeans came to these continents, there were millions of people who spoke thousands of languages here. A lot of those people are still here, and those who didn't have their language beaten out of them still speak it. Why should they have had to learn English (or Spanish, or French, or Dutch, or Portuguese, or...) ? I mean, they were here first. But, a lot of these folks did learn (language of choice) to trade with the newcomers, to socialize, to negotiate treaties (most of which the US government broke, can't speak for the rest of the Americas), and in many cases, just to survive.

The US has the fifth largest Spanish speaking population in the world. It only makes sense to me to have things be bilingual in areas where there are many Spanish speakers.
My husband is going back to school and he has to take two years of a language course. We thought we'd buy the Rosetta Stone software and learn together as a family.
As far as changes in our area we've seen some fastfood menus in English and Spanish. Plus, my kids take this little building shop at Home Depot once a month at the end they give them a certificate that is English on one side and Spanish on the other.
I'd like to take a moment to anti-recommend Rosetta Stone. The method they use is questionable, and the theory behind it as well. You supposedly learn the 'natural way', as you learned your mother tongue when you were a child. This means that a lot of the grammar rules go on unexplained and you are supposed to figure them out by yourself. This sounds like a good idea until you realize what this implies in a language like spanish with our many conjugations.

With Rosetta Stone you are basically buying a bunch of flashcards.

There's better software out there, like 'Tell me More', which is much more modern and complete.
Would you recommend "Tell Me More", vandrerol? I should try moving from Spanglish to actual Spanish.
He aprendido some Spanish, pero no recuerdo too much.

I don't see it as a thing being forced upon my area because of arrogant invaders who refuse to obey the ways of the place that they're entering. Of course, I'm not in an area that overfull with Mexicans. *shrug* Communication fascinates me, so all languages but French interest me (French sounds like vomiting; it seriously does). Already, seeing the conceptual split in Spanish between so many things that we lump together in one in English has enlightened me as to what's *really* going on when we say something.

For example, the use of the "imperfect" tense for "used to" forms and for the "would" phrases that are actually past tense, and the distinct conditional form. What extremely pleased me in my extreme literalness was the firm meanings for the verb tenses and how they could be stacked and applied in ways that were completely unambiguous to have complex tenses.

All this in place, I defend my small amount of culture viciously.

Adeptness with Spanish is just like learning to drive, to put on a condom correctly, to balance incomplete redox reactions with the half-reaction method, or the press the X button right after that flash of light in the Thunder Plains. It's just another skill. For having it I am better, bigger, and less of an unbadass loser.
According to a World Almanac I am owner of, spanish is the most spoken language leaving aside chinese dialects. And if you live in the U.S.A. (as I assume you do), you would probably notice that there are literrally milliongs of inmigrans from Latin America, most of them are illegal and went to the US in hope of finding new oportunities, while others are middle to high class persons looking for safer places to live (my city, monterrey, has been held as one of the most unsafe in terms of violence). So it is quite understandable for many of the enterprises to want to speak both english and spanish, since there are some immigrants that either dont speak english well or dont speak it at all since they may not need it. Keep in mind also that your language, english, was practicly made by shakespeare and rumour has it that he loosely based himself in romance languages, such as spanish.

Also, spanish is by far a more complex language than english is (it is mainly because of that that it is harder to learn). Even if your english is sloppy, one may still manage to communicate effectively. With spanish, just screwing up a single word slightly may change the entire meaning of the phrase more likely than with english, not mentioning that speaking it grammarly inconrrect will make you sound retard much easier than english does. For starters, verb tenses for he and she are different in spanish, while the same in english.

Also Spanish is, while harder to use effectively, a more romantic and poetic language (I´d even dare to say that I like poems in spanish better than french, but its just IMO). So I prefer writing in spanish, but english is more useful in that it is easier to understand and learn.

Hell even most native speakers never lear to use spanish well.

Gustavo
¡A la madre! ¡Otro regio! Hola camarada, hay más hispano-hablantes aquí, pero creo que nadie activo. Bienvenido.

[Ha! We're now in your websites, as well.]
I feel imparied because of not being fluent in Spanish. I have tried to learn several times, but there are so many other demands on my life, I can barely get by with simple phrases. Knowing additional languages can expand the mind and understanding.

When I was a young soldier stationed in Turkey, I made an effort to learn Turkish, studied it daily. If I tried communicating in Turkish and that didn't work out, I tried to use my high-school German. It was a great feeling to be able to communicate with people who did not speak my first language. Especially Turkish - to me, it was fun and musical. Still, I could never have discussed, say, politics, or literature. I was not that literate. Since then I've forgotten most of what I knew, of both languages. Use it or lose it. It's a loss.

I think that the question actually relates to whether people in the US should be REQUIRED to learn Spanish to accomodate the changing demographics of their area. The answer depends on whether someone is running a business (If you have a business in a Spanish - speaking area, then it's to your advantage for your employees to speak the language), or a government service (similar, if the service is needed, then it's a LOT more efficient to communicate without an interpreter), or other function.

That being said, it's reasonable to expect that, in order to become a citizen, immigrants who don't speak the language of their new country should have to learn it. No one can fully participate in a democracy and culture without knowing the language. If I ever move to Mexico, I would expect to have to learn Spanish. It's even dangerous not to know the dominant language. Try explaining medical symptoms without coherent words. Try asking for instructions.

The "official language" situation seems a bit xenophobic to me. I don't see the need to declare an official language. I know that counters the last paragraph. It just seems like it's a way to exclude people, rather than encourage English literacy. I'm not sure why I feel that way.
The "official language" situation seems a bit xenophobic to me.

Goes right along with the xenophobic history of the US, Daniel.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service