I've noticed that there is no thread on this subject here. I have a website dedicated to Space Exploration and I'll try to keep folks here updated from time to time on some major discoveries and events.

Contrary to what you have heard on tv, space exploration is not being terminated, that's just the shuttle. I feel like I have to explain this to everyone, because most people seem to think that NASA is going out of business. It's not. Actually they have a number of exciting exploration missions, both ongoing and to be launched in the near future. ESA and JAXA are also conducting some small scale exploration of the Solar System.

Right now we have a spacecraft called DAWN that is exploring the Asteroid Belt. In fact, it has recently entered the orbit of Vesta, a proto-planetary world, sometimes even referred to as the smallest terrestrial Dwarf Planet. DAWN is utilizing radically new ION propulsion system, which will allow to exit Vesta's orbit in about a year and proceed to another celestial object.

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is really awesome! Thank you for the update, I'll be sure to follow along. My mind would be blown if they found fossils, let alone extant biology! Exciting :D

For anyone who is excited about the DAWN mission, check out this presentation, it's a bit over an hour and will leave you with a thorough understanding of the importance and innovative nature of this mission.

It's surprising how there is literally nothing in the media about it. 

Thanks, Astrolav!
A compilation of more liquid flowing water images from Mars:
Great videos! Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you're enjoying this. Another exciting area of space exploration is remote observation of extrasolar planets. These are worlds (planets) located in other star systems. It blows my mind away that just ~15 years ago we knew of 8 planets, now we know of more than 570 and this number will jump to a few thousand in the coming years.
Good stuff!! Thanks for the info. 

Note that there are 2 groups specifically dealing with space and astronomy:

Atheists for a Vigorous Space Program

Astronomers

They could definitely use more members and activity.  Also there's:

Atheists who love Science!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
7 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
11 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
25 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Alan's discussion The reason why the United States has such a higher rate of religion compared to the UK
29 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
31 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Teh Stoopid...it's killing me!!
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service