In the past few months, I have been approached not once, not twice, but three times by solicitors who want me to find Jesus through their website. I am deaf, and apparently one of my neighbors alerted this group that there was a deaf man in their neighborhood in need of salvation. This website purports to translate the Bible into American Sign Language, making it accessible for those who are deaf. The first time someone came by, I simply said that the Bible wasn't my thing, and when pressed, I politely told them I wasn't a believer and wished them a good day. I was very polite, but still ticked off. This same group followed up today with a different batch of solicitors, this time three nice ladies, two sisters and their mother. I took their pamphlet and told them I would take a look at it later because I was hungry for dinner and didn't want to chat.

Never mind the fact that I am an atheist. First of all, I have a master's degree and attended UC Berkeley, where I majored in English literature. I also work as an editor, and am more than competent when it comes to reading the English language. I am sick of these solicitors who assume that (a) deaf people cannot read, and (b) I am a Christian or someone who is seeking life's answers and can find them in an old collection of folk tales.

I try to be as polite as possible to these solicitors, but as soon as I say good-bye, I toss their pamphlets into the recycling bin. 

Even worse, my massage therapist e-mailed me a link a few days ago to this very same website, saying it was oh so cool that the Bible has been translated into sign language. I considered this guy a good person (and a great masseuse), not the type to go about pushing religion on a client. Make that a former client; I will now look for a new massage therapist.

When these people just won't leave you alone, what do you do? I might expect this type of in-your-face solicitation in the Bible Belt, but I live in California, far from the Bible-thumping crowd.

Views: 526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you trying to put something Oberon us?  [grin!]

I don't know what the fuss is all about....I just  say  politely  that I am not interested and close the door before they can answer....They  usually leave  a pamphlet which  I promptly discard...Can you imagine how many  trees we lose, for use in those  ridiculous  pamphlets, what  a waste ....... 

I used to not answer the door, but now I feel like I want to give them something to think about, without wasting too much of my time.  After all, I was once in their position, and would have appreciated someone saying something that made me see the light much sooner than I did.

would have appreciated someone saying something that made me see the light much sooner than I did.

What's the best quick thing that someone could have said?

Because I've always loved science (except those parts that disagreed with mormonism), it would have made me think if someone had explained some of the ways they knew what happened millions and billions of years ago to life and the earth, and pointed-out that there was mountains of evidence to support those theories.

Do you really think if a bell ringer had heard, "evolution is a fact, as demonstrated by mountains of evidence to support the theory" you would have heard him/her?

If they gave some specific facts, I think there would have been a chance.

The message would have to be quick and attention-grabbing.

I have a t-shirt with "We are all Africans" on it, and this image on it:

It shows the human radiation out of Africa.

That might get door-knockers to think.  There are probably many good t-shirts about evolution.

It helps if it's a bit subtle, like the "we are all africans" message. 

Whos god should l believe in.

Here's the part about leaving a pamphlet that royally pisses me off. And, I realize this is probably petty on my part, but did I go to their home or their super-duper clubhouse (church) and leave my litter on their property? What the hell makes them think I want to fill my trash can with their garbage? Although, the more I think about, this may not be a bad idea.

The next time they offer to leave a pamphlet, say "Why sure, so long as I can give you something of equal value." Then hand them your bagged up garbage.

@ Pat......I realize how much it irritates us when  we are confronted  with these proselytizing religious  lunatics.....I do think that treating them  poorly, after  we declare  that we are Atheists, will only make matters  worse....We are better than that.......How about you get pamphlets  supplied  by the American Humanist  Assoc., keep them by your door and then  hand  one  to them  in exchange.....Maybe  they will even read it  and learn  something....Plus it would be  a more  civil  way  to handle  the situation........just saying........

Personally, I don't treat the JWs or anyone else who arrives at my door poorly.  Their beliefs, however, get no such rhythm from me, and if the believers are foolish enough to utterly identify themselves with those beliefs, that's their mistake and not mine.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service