So that's why Kerry, McCain etc.. had Vietnam exp. yet Cheney/Bush n Romney did not...

Why u ask? Well surely daddy's$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$~
Well, big-oil had a lot to do w/'deferment' of their tours.. but Romney .. maybe same shit?
Different 'i am a god' flavor? sheesh.. lame all around lame. White collar to black collar crimes abound:

feds gonna get u though; like all theocracies.

Views: 412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's almost as if not being qualified is itself the highest qualification!-  Good point.  I would not want to say that being a veteran makes someone a good president (Nixon?) or not being a veteran makes someone a bad president, but the Chicken Hawk theme has some validity.

My personal experience is that, when I enlisted, we were a nation at war.  Although I did not fight in that war, I did experience violence overseas.  So I don't know war, and am glad for that, but I do feel empathy for what our recruits experience, and I know the value of their lives.  I voted for Obama over McCain, even though McCain is a veteran and Obama is not, because I felt that Obama was much more qualified to be president, because he was clearly more intelligent, and McCain sold out to the fringe right wing with his VP selection of a proudly ignorant, puppeteer-ready, Dan Quayle clone in a dress, which would have put the country in far more grave danger if elected & McCain became incapacitated.  Obama promised to get us out of the unnecessary wars, which hasn't been fully realized but is closer.  Romney, like Bush, as Little Lord Fauntleroy / president of the US is not as frightening as McCain/Palin, but is still pretty depressing.

"fuckin' draft almost ruined my life (it's a long story), for Rudy it was nothing to worry about." War does things to people and it sounds like our life had negative impacts on you. Would you go so far as to say you are anti-preemptive war? I can see when war is an honorable endeavor, and I would support it to free people from slavery, but not the kinds of wars we have been engaged in for the past 50 years. We send our young people off to the slaughter and offer meaningless salutes when they come home dead, maimed, mentally crippled or have lost an opportunity to live in  peace.  Lost opportunity! That is a big price to pay.  

my dad was a korean war vet.  the only time he mentions the war was to get pissed at the rich boys who got off.  he said that the farmboys all went while the richer boys got off.  he was against a lot of these wars from vietnam on.  iraq made him the most angry. ' we're there because saddam tried to kill w's daddy.'  that's about the size of it.  he caught on pretty quickly. 

he volunteered and was a sargent with the engineers.  those were the days when they would offer criminals the option of prison or military service.  he ended up with a lot of those and had to seriously put the hammer down.   

he also said korea was the coldest place he had ever been.  he's wake up thinking that someone had let the fire go out and turn over and the stove would be glowing red.  he did a great job and they offered to send him to officer school. he declined.  he did not want them to find out that he could barely read. 

Shannon, The rich getting deferred from military service is nothing new.  During the Civil War, you could buy a deferment for $300.  NYC-born Mehippie (my feisty literary persona during the ‘60s) would have said:  “Hey, wait a minute.  Let me get this straight.  I gotta stand in file with this lethal toy in my hands, march up Cemetery Hill wearing this skanky uniform that doesn’t even fit me, watch my friends get mowed down by canisters of pellets shot from cannons, but if I have enough money to pay off venal politicians I don’t have to go.  Sure, that’s fair.  Pardon me while I break into some Park Avenue mansion to get the money.”

Are you familiar with Marine General Smedley Butler, the only person to earn two Congressional Medals of Honor during two different wars?  After he retired, he realized the folly of warfare and became an active peacenik during the FDR administration, lecturing in colleges and writing a monograph, War Is a Racket.  In the book, he states that WWI created 21,000 millionaires but not one of them got as much as a scratch.  Meanwhile the world lost 35 million as the U.S. suffered 116,000 dead and 208,000 wounded.  All were sacrificed for the economic interests of the ruling classes and imperialism, according to Butler. 

(If you’d like to read the adventures of Mehippie, my essay “My Religious Experience” is still on the Internet as I wrote it in 1970.  Fun read.  It’s a prophetic work in that I warned how computers are divorcing people from nature and Artificial Intelligence is a threat to become the planet’s next dominant life form.  It’s on Dr. Lester Grinspoon of Harvard’s website and it was first published in the company of ten other essays by Carl Sagan, Allen Ginsberg and Louis Armstrong—all gone now.  If you’d like to read more, though Mehippie isn’t in it, just click on the Atheist Novel ad to the right of this post.) 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service