http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/03/09/neil-degrasse-tyson-media-...

i've been watching the original series all weekend on PBS.  tonight the epic return featuring Neil DeGrasse Tyson, on Fox and NatGeo!  yes, SCIENCE bitches!!  set your DVR's!!

Views: 1359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love last night's episode.  Love the fact that NDT called evolution a fact, and left no room for argument.  

Oh, yes Alex, I'd forgotten that Tyson called evolution a FACT,  That was perhaps my favorite part.  Thanks for reminding me.

Like Loren, I want to watch it again.

If anyone wants to watch it again, who did't record it, you can see both the first and second episodes, in full here.

Here's the complete link.

http://www.cosmosontv.com/watch/183733315515

Most excellent, Pat!  Thank you for posting that!

Pat, thank you so much. I don't have a TV, and am grateful to get to see Cosmos so soon after its beginning. I watched the first episode and am just as enthralled as I was all those years ago when I fell in love with the universe through Carl Sagan. I am very glad that Tyson is not trying to replicate Sagan. He is as he is.

Tyson and I had a lovely conversation some years ago by email. It was after he did the Islam's Golden Age video. My experience with him, even though it was by computer, was as gracious as Sagan's time spent with the young Tyson. 

I Appreciate you sharing http://www.cosmosontv.com/watch/183733315515

Joan, you're welcome. Based on your comment, I went back and listened to Tyson's Islam's Golden Age. When he finished, I was really struck by the point he was making about naming rights and the intellectual collapse of whole civilizations when they turn from investigation to revelation. The last thing he said, though, really got me.

"I don't want to know why 85% of the members of the National Academy of Science reject god. I want to know why 15% accept him."

That is a puzzler.  "why 15% accept him."

Very likely because they've compartmentalized their belief, and while they're prepared to use the scientific method and discipline everywhere else, they haven't thought to use it THERE.

Thanks Pat.  I'll watch them if my ISP ever stops dropping connection every 15 minutes and keeps the speed up while connected :(

Yeah, no room for argument ... just a whole lot of creationist blathering!  Someone took away their dolly, I think.

Just watching second episode on NatGeo.  I love Neil Degrasse Tyson.  I was so looking forward to the new series, but have to say I was  disappointed in the premiere show.  The "cosmic calendar" was exactly the same from Carl Sagan's episode.  Didn't like the extended cartoon about a minor character.  I  thought the rest was too basic, we've already learned so much more in the last 30 years.  I will watch the new Cosmos but there are much better NGT videos on youtube, I have watched so many, but his presentation on "Intelligent Design" is one of the best.  As he said, why would a god have designed a human entertainment center right next to a sewer system.  He started going to the Hayden Planetarium at 9 and met Carl Sagan at 17 and the path was set.  He makes science so understandable and enjoyable.

Let's keep something in mind here. Neil's audience is NOT us. It's people with at best a eighth grade education and very likely at least a mild bias against an educated opinion. Before you diss this effort, consider the entire situation.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service