http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/03/09/neil-degrasse-tyson-media-...

i've been watching the original series all weekend on PBS.  tonight the epic return featuring Neil DeGrasse Tyson, on Fox and NatGeo!  yes, SCIENCE bitches!!  set your DVR's!!

Views: 1294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing that caught my personal attention while watching the segment on Bruno was when he lifted the 'veil' on the accepted view of the universe and crossed to the other side. The animation was taken from a 16th century woodcut, which is the background illustration on my computer.

Wow, very slick, Pat!  I'd seen that woodcut before, but didn't make the association.

This makes a point, too: that an understanding of the arts can inform and indeed enhance one's appreciation of the sciences!

I loved it!  I was hoping my fundie neighbors watched it too, but they went to a creationist museum last year, so I'm thinking NOT.

Even if they watched it they would criticize it for not including their god.

Seems to me that Napoleon had the same problem with Laplace's work on the motions of the planets.  My response is to emulate Laplace, to wit: we have no need of that hypothesis.  For that matter, the universe has no need of it, either.  The laws of physics do a wonderful job of defining and describing its behavior, and as for what do as yet do not know, that is a challenge for those best suited to tackle it, and with that, our understanding of reality grows by the day.

In contrast, deities of whatever stripe lose wiggle room at the same rate, and should they disappear altogether, I for one will shed no tears.

Not only will I shed no tears, I'll rejoice, although probably not by running naked in the street shouting eureka!

I think we haven't heard of Bruno before because he made a lucky guess, according to Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

The first I heard of Giordano Bruno was a couple years back, courtesy of (big surprise!) another atheist.  I think he was less astronomer than he was philosopher, but as I said before, his concept of getting past limits had to be pretty radical back in his day.

His god (and his universe) were indeed bigger than that of the catholics ... which is probably why they killed him.

NATGEO is running the program again tonight.

Did I get suckered tonight! And it was funny. Had a great day in Court and went out afterward for a libation. Met a guy who watched Dr. Tyson and Cosmos last night. We were having a great conversation about it, and he mentioned the scene where Voyager I was the first human spacecraft to go to interstellar space. We talked about the Kuiper Belt, and the disc on Voyager that had recorded sounds from Earth. He then told me we had received a message back from interstellar space. I looked at him and basically said "WTF?!"

He said yes, we had. An alien civilization had listened to the disc and sent the following message. "Please send more Chuck Berry!"

"Oh, Maybellene, why can't you be true?  Oh, Maybellene...."

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha!!!!!!   can i steal this?  please say yes!

Please feel free. I'm still chuckling about it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service