Should You Be Offended When I Tell You That You're Wrong?

Are people generally rational or irrational and has that changed over the course of history?

Rationality is the operation of reason; the weighing of options and assessing benefits over costs in the process of attaining goals or solving a problems.

Should we work towards replacing other functions of thought with rationality and seek to maximize rationality in our decision making?

If so, what are some ways we can maximize our rationality and more importantly, how can we facilitate the rationalization of others without them being offended? So often when I am having a discussion of beliefs with someone, they are offended to hear when I disagree and this leads to not only a lack of understanding, but a conversation that benefits neither party. Sometimes this leaves a stain on the relationship. It seems primitive that someone would be offended at the notion that they might be wrong. Personally I value the chance to be told I am wrong, because only two things can happen out of that: 1. I will learn something, or 2. I will teach something. Either way society is better off; overall knowledge will have increased; and thus overall welfare will have increased.

So riddle me this people of The Atheist Nexus: How can we align the people around us more closely to logic and effective thought processes without burning bridges and coming off narcissistic?

Tags: disagree, false, knowledge, logic, max, offend, offensive, philosophy, rational, rationality, More…rationalize, reason, right, society, true, weber, welfare, wrong

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

darryl stanfa.  Typing all capital letters in a post is the same as yelling at your reader.    You have used an elevated voice here.

There are so many religious people who are rational about Everything except religion.  Religion is the exception because that is their 'rock'.  It's the foundation they use to go about their daily lives feeling like someone is looking out for them ('god').  When you try and pull that rug out from under them they can't handle it.  I have tried to just make comments that are rational when a friend says something religious, etc. and they are just ignored as if I hadn't said a word.  People don't want to hear it.  Even friends I've had talks with about religion and who seem to agree with me at the time go right back to their belief-system because they can't live without it.

DOGLY. I ALWAYS USE CAPITALIZED LETTERS WHEN TYPING. NO OFFENSE MEANT.

Offense is taken.  It is hard to read.  It is disrespectful of your reader.  It is lazy.  You are yelling at me again.  Please stop.  If you care to communicate in a respectful, polite way, you will type normally.

« Il n'y a que deux puissances au monde , le sabre et l' esprit : à la longue , le sabre est toujours vaincu par l' esprit. »

de Napoléon Bonaparte

Once had a believer start his argument with "What if the world was only 6000 years old?"  All I could do was laugh out loud right in his face and dismissed him with my hand and walked away.  From that point on I now actually get offended when people try to talk their creationist bullshit to me anymore and see no reason to coddle them as they try to explain their assinine and degrading "God Hypothesis".  The arrogance it requires to blithely reject all other forms of knowledge in favor of the prescription contained in a single book written by nomadic shepherds roaming in a environment full of malevolent gods 2000 years ago is so breathtakingly intellectually dishonest to me that I no longer feel it should be even be given the courtesy of answer much less any sort of a "discussion". The God Hypothesis MUST be rejected at every turn. And perhaps even vehemently so. 

That's great Ficking Chucken!  I totally agree with you.  That kind of talk should NOT be given any respect or credibility.  You could respond with anything equally absurd. WHAT IF...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Cyn X posted a blog post
8 minutes ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Back from an AMAZING Cars & Coffee event. Tons of amazing machines and some neat folks to talk to!"
9 minutes ago
"Back from an AMAZING Cars & Coffee event. Tons of amazing machines and some neat folks to talk to!"
9 minutes ago
9 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
39 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
BIPLAB DAS commented on BIPLAB DAS's blog post A 9 year old girl was mentally tortured after being accused as witch.
1 hour ago
BIPLAB DAS commented on BIPLAB DAS's blog post A 9 year old girl was mentally tortured after being accused as witch.
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service