Disclaimer: Being new to this website, it is possible this idea has come up before. If so I apologize for the repetition.

Throughout history, there have been frequent attempts to remove the perceived negative connotations society has towards a specific name and the idea it represents...  For example, in the abortion debate, we have “Pro Life” for those opposed, while those in favor of abortion rebranded themselves as “Pro Choice.”  In 2003 Paul Geisert and Mynga Futrell started a movement to promote a naturalistic worldview, including atheists under the term “Bright.”

As a lifelong atheist, my guiding principle has always been the pursuit of reason. This is a theme that presents in all the atheists I have read and known.  Rationalism is by definition (according to my handy dictionary.com) “the principle or habit of accepting reason as the supreme authority in matters of opinion, belief, or conduct.” This is of course the antithesis of theism. We all know the quotes, for example Martin Luther’s famous “Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”

When I am asked my philosophy (I am a vocal atheist), I am  happy to reply “atheist.” But lately, I have come to wonder if a rebranding of myself as a “rationalist” is not more appropriate. The goal is not to be offensive or confrontational in my discussions with my theist friends, only to be clear in defining who I am.

So I ask, is a rebranding of an atheist as a rationalist something that has come up before, an idea people think is worthwhile, or is this simply a concept that is counterproductive and the whole idea of rebranding with atheism a waste of time?

Tags: rationalism, rationalist, rebrand

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

realists
I agree..And it has a nice ring to it.
I like the term rationalist, but like humanist it is a term that doesn't exclude theists at all. Theists, in fact, probably believe we are being irational for how we respond to Rascals wager.

Also, this could be entirely an error on my part, but I remember investiging this previously and not finding any great definition of the word "rational". All the definitions included either something like the word itself or it decended into bits of subjective judgment calls that I found useless."Using sound reasoning" meant little to me."Reason" means the same thing as "rationality". And, I suspect, most everyone thinks that their reasoning is sound. Your definition used "reason" as well.

For better or worse, I think, we are better off using the term "atheist".
http://traffic.libsyn.com/pointofinquiry/POI_2011_04_04_August_Berk...

It is no real biggy. But this is the latest talk I have heard arguing in favor of the term "atheist".

I was unable to get my thing posted w this included initialy.

It is all in the definition. Paul's comments about the definition of "reason" are well taken. However, having done a stint as a research social worker, I came to appreciate the need for following the scientific method and the importance of empirical data, testable hypothesis etc. A theist can have what they believe is a valid reason for their beliefs, they can see an atheist as irrational, but this is about valid reasons as the term reason relates to the definition of being rational. I can explain my reason for placing an offer on the Brooklyn Bridge, but it is hardly empirical. When  I think of myself as a rationalist, it is about the evidence. For me the term highlights that I am following a scientific process in my belief system. The theist believes in the supernatural, but can not offer empirical evidence. I don’t believe in god, gods, astrology, time travelers, that there are elves living in my backyard, that extraterrestrials have been coming to earth to molest cattle and their ranchers or that the bill of sale for the Brooklyn Bridge is real, because no one has presented me with evidence proving any of those things. By calling myself a rationalist I am making an implicit statement that I reason and form my beliefs based on my need for testable hypothesis and empirical evidence.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service