Should we object when politicians use religious rhetoric

Blog from Psychology Today:

Should politicians bless secular voters?

Even atheists are divided on this issue.  It seems to me that, as long as we stay silent and pretend that such language isn't important, politicians are going to feel free to continue it, thinking nobody objects. If we don't raise our voice, reminding them that there are constituents who don't appreciate it, they'll keep doing it.  And as long as they do it, they validate the Religious Right while marginalizing secular citizens.

Tags: elections, language, politics, religious

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What politician ONLY sends prayers in a disaster?

I didn't mean it in such absolute terms...sorry if I came across that way.  It just seems like it brings it to the surface more...a tendency, not an absolute.

Politicians by their very definition are opportunistic self promoters. You don't get very far if you are not. Every once in a while an honest broker like Harry Truman slips in un noticed but for the most part they are more interested in their career moves than doing the job they were elected to do. I see all the religious blather as cynical  calculated  prose meant to entice certain  easily won over individuals. It is more insidious that the promotion of religion. It is insincere and duplicitous for the most part.

How many times has a speech by ANY politician, Republican or Democrat, ended with this phrase:

"May god bless you, and may god bless the United States of America"

or some very similar statement?  I've heard it so many times, particularly during campaign speeches, State of the Union addresses, and other political presentations that, despite my atheism, I think I'd be somewhat stunned if I DIDN'T hear it.  Like so many other religious elements, it's become a part of the culture, and extracting it from such common usage is NOT going to be easy.

I'm not saying we shouldn't TRY.  I'm just saying that getting rid of it will be a fun time ... NOT!

I agree. Trying to find substitutes for oft repeated platitudes is a bit of a struggle for me especially when trying to comfort some one who has just lost a loved one. I do my best though. But some  well worn phraseology seems to fit the flow of some circumstance and substitution seems a bit awkward.
Whenever I hear "God bless the United States of America", I ask "did America sneeze?". 

Any elected official using an argument from religion should be impeached and convicted of treason to the constitution, the ideals, and the people of the United States.  At the least he/she should be barred from future public office, and at the most, hanged.

I am a free speech absolutist except in the case of treason.

Corrected:

Any elected AMERICAN (USA) official using an argument from religion should be impeached and convicted of treason to the constitution, the ideals, and the people of the United States.  At the least he/she should be barred from future public office, and at the most, hanged.

The internet isnt just America folks !

M.

Quite true, and I apologize for my oversight, but it is my ox getting gored, so to speak.

And I do agree with the sentiment, although i would have expressed it thus:

Loyalty to god is treason to your country. Therefore religious people cannot be trusted to have the best intrests of their country at heart, and should be barred from public office.

M.

spit upon the ground they walk; let them know they're hated and screwing w/our rights to be free from bigotry
Let's be honest here. The reason that most of us don't want to say anything is because the side that would stand for our rights to not believe in god also have faith so we don't want to tick them off in the progress.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service