I just listened to an interview with Michael Shermer on the Mile High Sanity Project podcast.  Shermer brought up the point that for some people there is a large social cost and thus deterrent to becoming (not the right word but I can’t think of the one I want) an atheist.  I didn’t go through this because I was never a member of a church.  But I am feeling some of it now that I’m trying to meet more like minded people to hang out with.

The atheist groups that I am aware of in my area are more purpose driven.  The meet more to provide information than they do to socialize.  While I completely agree that we need to help spread knowledge and provide others with the tools to think skeptically, we could do more.  I think we need more social activities (happy hours, whatever) to make it easier to those that might be leaving something that makes them feel safe and included. 

What do you think and do you have any suggestions?

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's been said before that organizing atheists is like herding cats. Which makes sense, since one of the criteria we try to live by is independent thought.  As to sites like A|N and others, Scott is correct. They're purpose driven insofar as we exchange ideas, share information, and listen to and contribute about opinions relevant to atheists.

As to social gatherings, I tend to agree with JF.  If you want to find people to hang out with, join an astronomy club, bridge club, motorcycle club, or other social organization.  Me personally, I tend to avoid those types of groups where there are structured activities. "At our next meeting, Susan, Joe, and Bill need to bring a covered dish, and we'll take about our next outing."  Not being critical, but it's just not my cup of tea. If I want to go out for a beer, I'll meet some friends at the local watering hole. 

(Advertisement)

A couple of athiest friends of mine are thinking about starting "The Church of the Do-ers. Youd ont need God to do good. Athiests in action".

It basically consists of getting together on Sundays in matching T shirts to do good works (a community service project) and then eat together afterwards. The goal is to find and organize needs: help the elderly fix fences, do yard work, deliver baked goods to sick people, clean up streets, teach critical thinking / science to little kids, etc. And after the 2 hour project is done, share, socialize and enjoy a meal.

Start one in your community!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service