Should religious fundamentalists be banned from jury duty?

I say 'yes.'

Here's my reasoning:

1. Faith is belief without evidence
2. Religious fundamentalists deliberately and openly apply a high degree of faith to the most important questions in their own lives
3. Therefore, they cannot be reasonably expected to rule on anything based solely on the evidence.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Couldn't agree more
Mind you, there are times when bigots are helpful
Helpful bigots! Now you have my head spinning trying to think of the scenario ... it's not like I can google it or anything.
To be reasonable - I was just lashing out with logic - so to speak. Honestly, I contend that no group of people is more committed to the First Amendment than atheists.
yes, i think juries should consist of lawyers and retired lawyers and detectives and people who actually study what good evidence is... none of this stage show nonsense.
I would not mind getting rid of the Jury system all together but I dont think there is really a better option.
And a very logical conclusion it is. Not very practical, as Marcus suggests, but logical, nonetheless.
Actually, the Constitution doesn't say any thing about peers - what it says in Amendment VI is "...the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury..."
You know - you're right. I wonder where the 'peers' language came in?
Probably from Magna Carta:

20. A freeman shall not be amerced for a slight offense, except in accordance with the degree of the offense; and for a grave offense he shall be amerced in accordance with the gravity of the offense, yet saving always his "contentment"; and a merchant in the same way, saving his "merchandise"; and a villein shall be amerced in the same way, saving his "wainage" if they have fallen into our mercy: and none of the aforesaid amercements shall be imposed except by the oath of honest men of the neighborhood.

21. Earls and barons shall not be amerced except through their peers, and only in accordance with the degree of the offense.
how about my 'lawmen in the jury' compromise? ^
What about a fundamentalist judge?

Bailiff: "Put you hand on the Bible please."
Atheist defendant: "But I don't believe in God."
Judge: "Guilty!" (pounds gavel)
Lol. The worst would be a fundamentalist President. Who needs someone who thinks the end of the world will be a good thing with their finger on the button!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Two Cult Survivor replied to Two Cult Survivor's discussion Need advice on coming out to my spouse
2 minutes ago
Future replied to Two Cult Survivor's discussion Need advice on coming out to my spouse
4 minutes ago
Luara replied to Regina Goodwin's discussion I hope it is not true in the group Texas Heathens
11 minutes ago
Luara joined Becky Robinson's group
11 minutes ago
Greg replied to B Fletcher's discussion Hey everybody, the world's about to end. Again.
15 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
35 minutes ago
Two Cult Survivor replied to Two Cult Survivor's discussion Need advice on coming out to my spouse
37 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
52 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago
Tweeeekk replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion ALL Politicians Should Be Made to Read: "Homosexuality, atheism etc: What's it to you?"
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo posted an album
1 hour ago
Plinius replied to Tweeeekk's discussion Do Religious people actually read their own holy books properly?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service