Born with senses, the physiological capacities of organisms to provide data for perception, and sentience, the ability to feel, perceive, or to experience subjectivity, the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience), all these faculties exist to be used.

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Poster via Carol Long 

Is it not interesting that religion requires obedience. Atheism requires only that one lacks belief in god/s. 

Born with faculties of mind, body and emotion, all these exist to bring information into a person's awareness. Being aware, being a person with information from outside one's body, as well as awareness of one's feelings, a human being can think, feel, and act according to the best information available at the time. 

I don't know if I've seen that concise quote from Dawkins before, but I very much like it and saved it.  Thanks.

This is a quote from Michael Shermer's piece in which he quotes Dawkins:

Rational Atheism 

"Dawkins’s always poignant prose, “raise consciousness to the fact that to be an atheist is a realistic aspiration, and a brave and splendid one. You can be an atheist who is happy, balanced, moral and intellectually fulfilled.” Amen, brother."

There are many other citations and they all point back to the book, Richard Dawkins’s The God Delusion (Houghton Mifflin, 2006).

I love Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion.  It was the final blow that killed the religious delusion in my mind.

Atheists should also be proud because we have the strength of character to acknowledge the reality of our mortality, instead of the comforting fantasies found in religious assurances of immortality. We respond to religious fictions with evidence and reason, even when there is a cost to going against the demands of mindlessly faithful crowds. A coward would go along with religious group pressure. A politician, without strength of conviction, would echo the delusions and pseudospiritual narcisism of the populace with more of the same. The atheist does not practice this kind of self delusion.

The religious find scapegoats to pile blame for society's ills and nature's cruelty. The atheist knows, in the first case, that human beings are often their own worst enemy, and in the second case, the only way to counter the foibles of fate is via effort, intelligence, reason, and sometimes, stoic acceptance. The atheist shows more character, and that is a reason to be proud.

Daniel, thank you for those great further reasons to be proud.  I'm saving your post as well.

Daniel, Excellent! This is a keeper! May I re-post on Facebook?

Go ahead! Thank you. Just expressing my thoughts..... :-)

Done! 

What you said, Daniel!  EXCELLENT!

The wisdom and compassion revealed in this group of people astounds me. I am so proud to even have my name associated with each one of you. 

Daniel, like Spud, I'm saving your words. If you ever get on my computer, you'll find in the same folder where I kept Carl Sagan's Reflections on a Pale Blue Dot.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service