Secular News: "Religious Countries Are the Most Corrupt"

SecularNewsDaily

"Using standard assessments of national corruption, Hamid Yeganeh & Daniel Sauers of Winona State University, USA, have found that countries with the most religious people also have the highest levels of corruption"

Brief article.  The concluding quote,

"Considering the variety of corruption measures, the reliability of data, and the large number of included countries, we have to conclude that religiosity not only does not impede corruption but tends to promote it… Based on the above-mentioned arguments, we may conclude that while religiosity provides guidance on morality, some of its characteristics practically promote corrupt business behavior"

I think we all knew this.  We see so much hypocrisy in religious and religious-political "leaders".  In the US, states where religion rules are also states with more violence, poverty, and other social problems.  Religion, like STDs, is the gift that keeps on giving, and not in a good way.

(bolding is mine)

Tags: religion promotes corruption, religiosity

Views: 599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice Ted! It has been my  experience throughout life that the two most likely people to cut my throat are men of religion and politics!

And, Hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace'.. I just heard it on the radio.

Keep in mind that saying "grace" was more than being "thankful" for the food. In days of no refrigeration "using the food for the nourishment of your body" was sort of like asking god not to let you be poisoned.

I "Like" those lyrics, Ted. You hit the nail on the head.

Daniel, this fits with my ongoing look at the history of the development of Abrahamic religions. Because the religions are based on the founding fathers reliance on means to gain their ends, they report horrid atrocities, attributed to the will of god, and feel no shame or embarrassment in reporting the slaughter of millions of innocents over three centuries. The data is becoming so very clear with modern archeology. Religious have no limits on what they willingly do to promote, maintain and sustain their status as being the giver of the moral law. They are as corrupt as was Abraham, David, and modern Israeli and Palestinian leaders. 

Bible Atrocities

Bible passages considered immoral by today's theologians and secula...

bart ehrman youtube

The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and... 

Stavrakopoulou, Dr Francesca-Archeology And The Bible - Joan Denoo ...

The Abrahamic stories reveal myths and legends, based on a point of view in conflict with their neighboring nations.  The bible written is written from their bias. Archeology does not find evidence of the slavery of Israelis in Egypt, nor of the Exodus. There are no stories of David's greatness that can be verified by archeology although there is evidence of the family of David. The bible dates and archeology dates do not match. The myths of the greatness of the Jewish people are dramatic, from Moses and Noah Joshua and all the other exciting stories. They do not show up in archeology records in the correct time frame. 

There is not one god; there is no legitimate evidence of god's promises to the Jews of a promised land. The Abrahamic faiths cast the female gender under the wheels of their tyranny, relegating women to a subservient role. There is no evidence of homophobia, except through the myths and fables of Abrahamic faiths. 

Therefore, let's stop pretending that moral laws exist in religion, any of them, and realize human beings, in order to live in a civil society, must write laws that are just, support democracy, and that protect all to participate in the process. No favors to religious groups for any reason. They are as valid as giving USA citizenship to white, property owning men only. 

We are all on this planet together, and we will live or die, based on the wisdom of people and laws. 

As long as Zionism, supported by the christian right in USA, and Arab nationalism continues to believe the myths and legends of the old and new testament and of Islam with its  Quran, we will continue to have slaughter of innocents. 

It is important that people understand that religions are constructs of the human mind, created out of a sense of we vs. them, and intended to win political victory by warring. There has to be a separation of religion and politics. 

Understand the religious apologists jump on these authors and give their rationale for discounting these writers. Perhaps the apologists are correct in their denunciation of such findings, however, remember women were denounced for speaking out, blacks were terrified into submission with the authority of the churches, homosexuals are hounded out of religious communities or expected to change who they are. Any time a point of view that does not support their sacred texts will be denounce, not gently or lovingly, but with burning of witches and hanging of blacks and terrorizing families into silence. 

To be silent is to imply agreement. 

You are well read and well said, Joan. Not many today want to admit that bible stories and the actual time frame of known events do not match. This alone would prove that they made it all up. My post on Joshua and the battle of Jerico showed as much.

I agree with you fully that religion is created out of a sense of "we vs. them" and is intended to win political victory through warring. That is the biggest reason to separate religion and politics before we all create a bigger monster here.

Dennis, I so agree with you!

I mean, I agree with you about the we vs. them mentality and intention to win political victory. Yes, separation of religion and politics is the issue. 

Christians, Zionists, and Muslims; three cults fighting over a myth. So pathetic!

Excellent article. I fail to see how religion provides guidance on morality, given the written words from the old and new testaments, quran, and from eastern traditions. It is so easy to see the brutality, jealousy, greed, slaughter of innocents, and intolerance written in sacred scriptures of all kinds. It is all written down for anyone who is willing to read them. Preacher/teacher/people who need to feel worthy of being heard, who "translate" the words of Bronze Age people trying to apply the principles to 21st century reality are deluded. When delusion leads dependent people who want to deny reality, one gets a deadly, violent, class-creating society not worth having. 

I love Hitch's almost last statements:

” . . .  we have the same job we always had, to say, as thinking people and as humans, that there are no final solutions, there is no absolute truth, there is no supreme leader, there is no totalitarian solution that says that if you will just give up your freedom of inquiry, if you would just give up, if you will simply abandon your critical faculties, a world of idiotic bliss can be yours. We have to begin by repudiating all such claims – grand rabbis, chief ayatollahs, infallible popes, the peddlers of mutant quasi-political worship, the dear leader, great leader, we have no need of any of this.”

~ Christopher Hitchens

We begin by repudiating all such claims, and all those who preach, teach, and speak them. We have no need of any of this. 

Religion needs to be stopped. The world would so much better without it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service