A joint effort by Japanese, Russian and American scientists is underway to resurrect the extinct woolly mammoth by way of cloning. Frozen mammoth tissue in good condition has been obtained from Siberia and new technology provides for the nuclei of its cells to be implanted into elephant eggs in a manner conducive to cloning. If all goes as expected a living mammoth will walk the earth in 5 to 6 years.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-scientists-aim-mammoth-life.html

Tags: Cloning, Jubinsky, Mammoth

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

I think most of the problems you would give a higher priorty are those which could easily be solved by money and commitment.  There are very simple, cheap water filters that could prevent diseases in Africa and other countries, but how do you distribute them in a place like Sudan?  The world would be a perfect place to live if it was a perfect place to live.
I guess I was thinking too simply. I'm in an "applied" grad program in archaeology. When I start my thesis, it's going to be based on the environmental consequences of aboriginal American agriculture ca. 500-1000 A.D. (or any other sort of crossroads between prehistoric North American humans and modern restoration ecology). What I mean to say is that I'm in a mental habit of trying to save the whole damn world via science. Regardless, at this particular juncture of space-time the focus is beer and psychedelic music in my apartment. Cheers, ladies and gentlemen. Onwards and upwards!
Sounds cool, there is no obvious way an animal such as a mammoth could escape containment so I am all for this.
Thank you, Mr. Jubinsky, for your great posts. You're way more entertaining than the goddamn google news dot com!
Thank you back Tezcatlipoca I appreciate the compliment.
To simply put things into perspective:

Cloning, of any kind, would great for the whole of the entire earth. I couldn't list every advantage if i wanted to there are so many. We all know the main reason it isnt as advanced as it should be. Imagine how the world would be if we had just been more open minded in the past. No hunger, death from war would greatly decrease, wars may have even been avoided, the regrowth of limb for those who lost them or never had them, much of the disease would be most likely cureable, maybe even the cure for aids and/or cancer lies with stem cell reasearch. This is what angers me about religion and the "you shouldnt play god" idea. How many people in our lives and the past could have lived a longer life with this technology? But because those in charge mostly choose to believe in religion and have this thought that stem cell research is bad and anti-god, lots have perished where they should have not. This is what makes me an Anti-Theist.
Riding a mammoth would be so epic. Cloning would be a huge advance for health science.
I hear you.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service