I saw a very interesting program on the History Channel recently. There is evidence from geology (mud cores) and sonar that the Black Sea was not always there--at least not at its present size, and with salt water. It seems that up until 8000 years ago, there was a valley there with a small fresh-water lake at its center. But global oceans rose by 5 feet, and the water came spilling over a land dam, through the channel now known as the Bosporus, and into that valley, creating the Black Sea. It seems its not clear just how sudden this was but the volume and rate of flow was truly enormous and people might have been unable to escape the flood.

The scientific evidence (mud cores from the floor of the Black Sea) for this is quite good. Plus, sonar was used and found rocks that might have been part of the ancient settlements that were submerged.

Now I don't mention all this to show that "science proves the Bible." I have no problem with the idea that some memories of historical happenings are found in the Bible. (And many other peoples, as the program pointed out, have flood myths, one of the best known being in the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh.") However, the flood imagined by the scientific investigation (1) did not inundate the entire world, and (2) did not recede--both of which are details at odds with the Biblical Noah's Flood. Also (point 3?), I'm all for there being a scientific explanation for the Bible "miracles."

Tags: Bible, flood

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do find it fun - and am sure the geologists had even more fun - figuring out exactly what would have had to be involved in a global flood.

Although keep in mind, Xians will trump everything by claiming 'miracle.' God is not subject to physical laws. So all the geologist has done is prove that science is BS.

Or that the Xian can't wrap its mind around big concepts so prefers the simpler explanation, "God did it."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
17 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
40 minutes ago
Soren Sagan commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
40 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Amy commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Jim B posted a photo
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Dyslexic's DOG's blog post Wendy Wright (Creationist) arguably the Dumbest Person I've Ever Seen on Youtube!
2 hours ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"Heading to Las Vegas this weekend and hope to see the Tree of Knowledge, decorated with book covers, posted by the LV Coalition of Reason."
2 hours ago
Frank Moorman updated their profile
3 hours ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"I signed up here four years ago, but did not participate, what with life taking some interesting turns. So I'll try again."
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service