http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/stossel/blog/2012/12/13/science-v...

no idea how interesting this will be.  John Stossell is the host, and he's an admitted but regretful Atheist.  anyway, thought i'd point it out for those who might want to watch. 

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a civil engineer, and most everything in the book was way above my head.  I was able to digest the important points though.  Dawkins wrote the epilogue, and even he made the claim that much of what Krauss wrote was beyond his reach, but the degree of respect was obvious.

He could bring up this moral tidbit from the Old Testament: This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son tomorrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him--2 Kings 6:28-29

They are different channels own by the same fellow. How is a science v. God discussion worthy of time on a putative business channel?

Hey ... cannibalism in the OT; cannibalism in the NT.  At least they're consistent!

But it is us they accuse of eating babies . . .

How strange.  I thought I knew a lot of the juicy parts of the bible.  But not that.  Are there Kosher rules for eating babies?  Don't serve with dairy products or something?

Please report on the outcome!  I don't have the stomach for FOX.

will do.  i'll be watching the Eagles game tonight but i'll dvr it and report back.

I believe it's 6pm for the left coast.  I have my dvr set

This generated the usual inane comments from those who somehow believe using your brain is a sin. I'm about at the end of my rope with these people.
If I didn't mention it earlier, I'd like to suggest we set up a system for flash mobbing theblaze comments sections. I'm guessing this isn't a new idea, probably called troll mobbing or something similar. It would really be a public service. When they're left alone, those within the echo chamber convince them they're the only side of an issue and that everyone agrees with them except those "insane raving atheists". The comments just get weirder, more violent and increasingly lacking in any connection to reality. It's what happens when memes are allowed to commit incest without fresh DNA added to the mix.

In the video, Stossel says he wishes he could believe in god, that it gives people comfort and purpose.

He also states that his parents fled pre-Nazi germany and assimilated in the US.

It makes me pause.  I've read that many Jews lost all faith during the holocaust - they found it impossible to believe there was purpose to their persecution, and felt that no god would behave in such a heinous manner.  

I've also heard people say they lost faith as a result of 911, for the same reasons.  I suppose others were comforted by faith.

I don't know.  I find it comforting to know that, when times are bad, I'm not being singled out by a malicious deity, it's just that bad things happen, it's random, and it's neither fair nor unfair, neither a god's love nor a god's psychosis, it just is.

Personal opinion is that Stossell is nothing more than a shill for the right wing. The male version of S.E. Cupp. Ladies and gentlemen, lest we think, as atheists, we are something "special," we are not. We are nothing more than a cross section of humanity, in all its glory and degradation. The only thing different between us, and everyone else, is that we reject a belief in the desire for a fantasy world and a made up Big Brother living in the clouds. Other than that, we're really no different than those we walk among. Loves, heartaches, struggles, stress, joys and disappointments. We're nothing more than the rest of the homo sapiens  we share this planet with. We just have a different view based on rationality and the extent of knowledge, as we currently know it. Which, of course, is always subject to change.

Oh, hell. Don't pay too much attention to that. Yesterday (12/12/12) was a birthday that marks me one day farther from the womb and one day closer to the inevitable. Plus, I didn't really like what my doctor told me.

In the words of Rosanne Rosannadanna

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service