6 Terrifying New Creatures Science Just Discovered

The leech with big teeth which goes inside us especially gives me the creeps.

Then there's brain eating fungus....

Views: 947

Replies to This Discussion

After the flood - spiders!

The trees were blanketed by spiderwebs after a Pakistani flood. The other images are from Australia.

Spiderwebs Blanket Countryside After Australian Floods (Pictures)

In an arachnophobe's worst nightmare, swarms of spiders spin webs in a bush in flood-ravaged Wagga Wagga (map)Australia, Tuesday.

After a week of record rain, floodwaters across eastern Australia have forced the ground-dwelling spiders—and at least 13,000 people—to flee their homes, according to Reuters.

The rampant webs blanketing vast stretches of Wagga Wagga are likely "a dispersal mechanism that allows [spiders] to move out of places where they'd surely be drowned," said Robert Matthews, a professor emeritus of entomology at the University of Georgia.

Producing large quantities of silk creates a sort of "vast trampoline" that supports the spiders as they're fleeing the water, he noted.

A huge centipede killing a snake.

YouTube description:

Uploaded by ChngClarence on Aug 13, 2008

This video was taken by a friend of my father in a plantation area in Penang around two weeks ago. After finishing off the snake, the centipede was then caged until the authority came to claim it for research purpose i assume. This centipede is in a massive size and it's the biggest I've ever seen so far. Its length might be exceeding 60 cm. Enjoy.

Ant death spirals are creepy.

How to create an ant spiral of death

Interesting that this sensational story didn't come out of the US, but from Al Jazeera.

Eyeless Shrimp, Clawless Crabs, & Other Nightmarish Effects of ...

Al Jazeera‘s report on seafood in the Gulf Coast reads like a horror story: eyeless shrimp, fish with oozing sores, clawless crabs. Unfortunately these deformities are very real and disturbingly common two years after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010. Chemical dispersants used by BP to “clean up” the oil spill are the likely cause.

...half the shrimp caught in a Louisiana bay lacked eye sockets, according to fishers interviewed by journalist Dahr Jamail.

Climate Change is luring caterpillars with toxic spines north. These images show which ones to avoid from Florida to North Carolina. If you touch one by accident, put tape over the area and pull it off to remove the venomous spines. "...they’re breeds of caterpillar with spines so poisonous an accidental brush could put you in a world of pain…" [quote from 10 Amazing Discoveries You Missed This Week]

Pictures of four poisonous caterpillars in Florida

(dangerous) Moth Caterpillars Photos

I must have been really busy when you started this thread. I'm following it now. Gotta check out that fighting centipede.

Same here! I can't believe I missed all this ... Its fantastic.
This is the coolest discussion!

As if zombie-ant fungus wasn't strange enough, there's a hyperparasitic fungus that helps the ants.

Zombie-Ant Fungus Is Under Attack, Research Reveals

The research reveals, for the first time, how an entire ant colony is able to survive infestations by the zombie-ant fungus, which invades an ant's brain and causes it to march to its death at a mass grave near the ant colony, where the fungus spores erupt out of the ant's head. This photo shows a zombie ant with the brain-manipulating fungus (Ophiocordyceps unilateralis s.l.) having been castrated by an hyperparasite fungus (white with yellow material).

Oak processionary caterpillars

...63,000 toxin-filled hairs covering their bodies make them a crawling biohazard. A simple gust of wind can carry the weapons throughout the air, causing asthma, skin abrasions, anaphylactic shock, blindness and even death. And we're not talking about a few caterpillars here and there. When this species hatches, it becomes a giant, moving carpet of death.

And global warming has only helped them spread faster and farther.

8 Species That Are Threatening to Swarm the Globe

We have mites living on our faces, which have no anus, so they store all of their poop till they die.

Tiny mites on your face may cause rosacea

Scientists may have finally found what sparks the inflamed and reddened skin in people suffering from rosacea: tiny mites that crawl across most of our faces, unseen and unfelt.

As it turns out, the mites, which spend daytime hours in the glands that produce sweat and sebum, harbor a certain kind of bacteria in their digestive tracts. When the mites die, the bacteria spill out into the glands, according to a new report published in the Journal of Medical Microbiology.

That’s not a problem for most of us, says the study’s lead author Kevin Kavanagh, a researcher at the National University of Ireland. But when people have an especially heavy infestation of the little bugs, the release of bacteria can set off rosacea.

It is interesting to note that [the mites] do not have an anus and therefore all their waste is stored until they die and then it is released in one go.”

Skin problems only occur when mites die while in the glands during the day.At night they pop out and crawl around the surface of the skin often in search of a mate. Kavanagh notes that the mites can cover a lot of ground – moving as much as 4 inches before heading back to the glands. [emphasis mine]

Ewww!

The Assassin Bug Carries the Bodies of Its Victims

This bug looks like it's made a killing carrying a remarkable number of dead bodies on its back to stop it becoming lunch. As this gruesome picture shows this insect has at least 20 ants on its back which according to scientists confuse potential predators like jumping spiders.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service