Came across this the other day; 

Ecclesesiastes.  ch1.v18.

" For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowlege increaseth sorrow."

That kind of sums up the whole ethos of the church.  Not much of a discussion but I'd be interested in any interpretations.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say this kind of supports my theory that it would be easier to just be a blind-believer that their is a 'god' and an afterlife, etc.  Life would be easier I think.  But you can't un-learn or un-think something, and I'm never going to believe all the religious crap, so maybe that makes life harder in some ways.  Not being part of the herd, knowing when you die you're dead and that's it.  It sure is harder to find friends who don't believe all that crap.

Agreed. It reads like a follow up to the apple in the garden.  Getting smart gets rid of the false comfort of god.  We don't have eternity to get this right, that's a lot of pressure. We know prayer isn't going to fix the mess we're in so we have to work harder which causes suffering.

If you read the whole thing it sounds like the Buddhist meaninglessness stuff. 

Religious folks say atheists overthink the divine but that is an intellectual cop out.  

I think this is intuitively true. This is my reasoning: When one has limited experiences, one has limited emotional reactions to those experiences. I often think about this as the difference between smart people and less-smart people. Smarter people can feel things with greater depth than can less-smart people. So as one increases the depth of their experiences and thus the depth of their knowledge about the world, one has more powerful emotions as a consequence of those deeper, fuller experiences. Of course, the converse is also true, so that he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow, but he also increaseth joy. And the one-sided focus of the bible quote is just another example of both the theistic disdain of knowledge as well as their disdain of life.
It's true that with more knowledge there is more burden, and ignorance may be bliss, but it also might be the greatest evil. The worst combination occurs with just the wrong bit of knowledge and right bit of ignorance - so you have the means and the ignorance to commit the gravest atrocities without any remorse or hint of danger.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
3 minutes ago
booklover replied to Matthew Janes's discussion Shame on you GOD!
8 minutes ago
Pat commented on Edward Teach's blog post Are we Dancing Bears?
19 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Edward Teach's blog post Are we Dancing Bears?
39 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
47 minutes ago
Corey commented on Jeff's group Secular Freemasonry
51 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
54 minutes ago
Edward Teach posted blog posts
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Stuart M Rees's video
1 hour ago
Stuart M Rees posted a video

Alternative RE School Teacher - A Bit Of Fry And Laurie

Would you send your children to this school? A Bit Of Fry and Laurie's mockumentary about this alternative religious education school teacher may just be the...
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Luara's discussion Saw a groundhog this morn
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service