Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists in new law to crack down on political dissidents

Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists in new law to crack down on political dissidents

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-de...

How does this fit with the following statistic from 2012? Hope all courageous non believers in Saudi will be OK!

http://www.skeptical-science.com/religion/religion-declines-worldwi...

Tags: Arabia, Saudi

Views: 307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you very much Daniel. I signed up a long time ago but did not contribute as much as I would have liked.

It is very clear to me that the Saudi regime itself is a terrorist entity. It has an unsurpassed record of funding, promoting and harboring terrorists even when claiming they are fighting them. I wonder why countless Western politicians are so cosy with it?! It says a lot about them and those who support them.

An important question here is what is terrorism? Suicide bombings? Slaughtering civilians? Hijacking planes? Mass murder? Illegal wars based on fictional justifications? Economic sanctions that hurt people and leave dictators unscathed? To me it's all of the above.

Hathal, you make some important points.  

I imagine the issue with Western politicians being cozy with dictatorial regimes is entirely about oil wealth.  A generation ago, it might have been as cold war proxies, but that seems past.

Like a lot of things, the word "terrorism" seems to be in the mind of the beholder.  I try to be careful with it.  For some people, it seems to be a synonym for "someone I don't like".  For the Saudi feudal govt, it seems to be anyone who might threaten their absolute stronghold and control of their society.  I think anything designed to impose terror, and thereby either achieve a goal, make a point, or just out of sadism, could be considered terrorism.

I'm not sure about the last couple of sentences.  I agree they are bad, and corrupt, but I don't know about imposing terror

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service