Sarah Palin prays for peace and justice; for congresswoman she ordered the assassination of.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/08/sarah-palin-statement-shoo...

Sarah Palin, you soulless, heartless, bitch. You and your ilk use revolutionary, violent, assassination imagery against U.S. politicians, then you give the usual trite, stock, feigned-innocence statement when someone who is very likely going to turn out to be one of your swooning fans actually does go and shoot that congresswoman in the head. For those not familiar with Palin's part in this, here's the graphic that's been on her site for months (not surprisingly, taken down just now):

"Don't retreat, instead RELOAD!" Was Palin's battlecry, asking voters to do away with Democrat congress persons.

I'm about as pro-free-speech as they come. But there must be limits. You don't get to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre. And you don't get to use your cult-of-personality hold over your mindless minions to put people on a "hit list," complete with gunsight targets over them, use assassination imagery, then act all teary-eyed and innocent when someone who will almost certainly turn out to be one of your mindless minions actually goes and does it. The "Justice" Palin claims to be praying for will be to see her, in shackles and an orange jumpsuit, standing trial for conspiracy to commit murder and treason against the United States.

Sarah Palin, tell me again about your peace-loving, turn-the-other-cheek Jesus whom you claim to so worship and emulate.

Tags: Giffords, Palin, Party, Tea, assassination, politics, shooting

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Stephan!

Spoken like a true free-thinker.

Pretty much every single study I've ever read claiming that violence in media and in video games has no effect 'generally' in society, has the caveat: excluding mentally challenged people. Jared had mental issues. If the studies found violent incluences were similarly negligeable on humans of all mental states, they wouldn't need the caveat.

I think you are probably right, that the rhetoric probably had something to do with the violence.  But until I have evidence of this particular person's motives, I'm withholding judgment on that front. 

Although that being said, the rhetoric is bad enough to be criticized on its own, even absent any shootings.

Individuals are responsible for their own actions.  Sane individuals, that is.  I read a couple of Loughner's Youtube text videos and found them incomprehensible.  I don't have a clue if he paid any attention to right wind or left wing pundits.  Maybe the effect of violent rhetoric, the majority of which comes from the right, on unbalanced individuals is reason enough to tone things down.  Whether the vilifying of political opponents had any effect on Loughner or not, surely we can see that the rhetoric, the personal verbal attacks on people who disagree with us, is unwarranted and potentially dangerous.  Isn't the potential danger enough?  Can't we restore sanity to our political discourse because it might influence the deranged?  Or just because it would be the right thing to do?
Which begs the question... are GOPs generally insane! :P
Heh, I'd say right now the ones getting elected definitely seem crazy to me.  I think they are doing it largely just to get elected, but if they act crazy to stay in office there is little difference between being crazy and acting crazy.
 I posted this on another thread but it seems to be pertinent to this thread.
Stochastic terrorism is the use of mass communications to stir up random lone wolves to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable.
This is what occurs when Bin Laden releases a video that stirs random extremists halfway around the globe to commit a bombing or shooting.
This is also the term for what Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity, and others do. And this is what led directly and predictably to a number of cases of ideologically-motivated murder similar to the Tucson shootings. At any given time there are hundreds of thousands of Americans with combinations of personality characteristics (such as emotional instability, a paranoid ideology, and a propensity for violence) that put them at risk of going off the deep end and becoming lone wolves. All it takes is the right push, the right nudge at the right time, to dislodge a few of them and send them on their way to fifteen minutes of fame surrounded by dead bodies.
So let's take Beck, Hannity, and O'Reilly. There is no question that their emotional rhetoric appeals to people who are emotionally unstable. And, since their audiences are tracked and analyzed in detail, there is no question that they know

but what if he didn't see the video?

Supposedly, he does not watch TV or listen to the radio.  He truly does seem to be crazy evil all by himself, without any need for Beck and co to tell him who to shoot.

That may or may not be true but he did spend time on the inter-toobs which can be far more virulent and inciting than cable, radio or the MSM.

so, what are we going to do, shut down the internet?  Just because this nutbag follows Alex Jones, doesn't mean we can pin this to the "traditional" right wing media outlets - or to Palin, as much as I'd like to.
nah, just stop giving any credence whatsoever to idiots with a public stage

This interview that Chris Matthews had with David Brock, of Media Matters, while not specific to the Arizona tragedy, points to the influence of the right wing ranters.

BROCK: But this is not street theater, as you know.
Glenn Beck himself has been responsible for three thwarted assassination attempts this year. And Sarah Palin --
(CROSSTALK)
MATTHEWS: How is he responsible for them?
BROCK: Well, you want to know what they are?
MATTHEWS: You said it.
BROCK: Sure.
So, he burned Nancy Pelosi in effigy on his set. He tried to poison her with a chalice. OK. Some three weeks later, somebody tried to firebomb Nancy Pelosi`s house. That guy`s mother went on television and said he gets all his ideas from FOX News.
Do you know about Senator Patty Murray and the death threat that she got?
MATTHEWS: No. Go ahead.
BROCK: OK. It`s recorded. The guy says after the health care vote, he says, you have a target on your back and I can accomplish what I want to accomplish with one bullet.
He`s tried, convicted, and in the sentencing phase, his cousin writes in for leniency and she describes in a very chilling memo -- it`s on our Web site -- that he was slowly drawn into Glenn Beck`s world. And she portrays the guy, the attempted assassin, Charlie Wilson, as a victim of Beck.
And, number three, which you probably do know about, this liberal foundation in San Francisco was targeted by a gunman, Byron Williams, in June. The shooter gave jailhouse interviews -- and we published them -- and he says Glenn Beck is a schoolteacher on television and points to specific episodes of the Glenn Becks show that inspired him to do it.
MATTHEWS: Oh, God.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service