last night, Santorum swept the 3 state joke fest, winning the Minnesota, Missouri, and Colorado Republican Party Primaries. 

now i realize that a lot is going on here.  many Conservatives are concerned that Romney can't beat Obama, that Gingrich's head won't fit into their living rooms, and Paul is barely Conservative to begin with.  additionally, the overall number of 'voters' was very small.  Ricky boy took it to the farms and cowpokes directly, and he won the hick vote by a landslide. 

still, whenever something like this happens, it reminds me just how close we truly are to a nation divided.  many who will read this have read the other Discussions and Blog Posts about Santorum and his views.  the guy is borderline psychotic, and not only does he get to run for the Republican nominee, but JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK, the guy just might fucking win their party nod. 

this is a man who introduced his family to his stillborn child, then slept with the ooze containing jar nestled comfortably between him and his wife (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/01/05/eugene_robinson_r...) .  this man would have his daughters carry to term a child which was conceived via rape.  this man would like to ban contraception - for everyone! 

yet here we are.  Santorum is back in the race, showing once again just how ridiculous the Republican nominee process has been.  in trying to see the silver lining, his continued presence should be a boon for bloggers, late night comedians, and this Atheist for months more to come.  however, the looming possibility that a person like this could take the White House just might get me out to vote, and should frighten us all. 

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Suggestion: if some savvy reporter can induce Santorum to say explicitly that he is opposed to any form of birth control, and in the same conversation affirm his opposition to women's choice in any form (which, based on the evidence of this post, he'd likely do), it's entirely possible that the democrats could use said statements to turn the tide of the majority of women voters against Santorum ... whereupon his candidacy would be TOAST.  Now ... whether he does that BEFORE or AFTER he gets the nomination would be a bellwether as to just how badly the GOP loses to Obama this November and just who it is that loses.

I would love Ricky to answer the following question:  What is the definition of feminism? 

He gets that bewildered look on his face when it it brought to his attention that his views border on offensive to many people in this country.  On the Sunday news shows last weekend Santorum commented about the fact that his mother made more money than his father growing up but that was about the extent of the conversation. 

I certainly get the impression that he sees no problem with unplanned parenthood, if you know what I mean...every seed must grow....euphemism for 'every sperm is sacred'.   Santorum is bound to start backpedaling and it's going to be amusing to watch:  OH that's not what I MEANT.  THAT was taken out of CONTEXT.  The liberal media is just attacking me on the basis of my religious faith...blah, blah, blah.

On another subject, in the NY Times yesterday, Paul Krugman quotes Santorum as saying this:  "President Obama is getting America hooked on the narcotic of dependency.”  Check out the article: Moochers Against Welfare.   This is certainly an area where progressives and Democrats can counter the GOP argument that the safety nets are filled with welfare 'addicts'.  It's the old trick of separating the 'deserving poor' from the 'undeserving poor' and guys like Rick think they have the moral upper hand in determining the difference.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service