Santorum: Children of Rape Victims Are "Gifts of God"

Let's see.  A woman is taken against her will and does not want to have a stranger/nephew/brother's baby and Santorum says the baby is "a gift from God."  It is unbelievable that he does not see the lack of logic in this conclusion.  It would make babies of rape victims the price a woman has to pay just for being a sex object to a goon.  If Santorum worships a good God, that deity would not allow the woman to be raped in the first place.  And before Santorum can argue that the rapist was given freedom of will by this God, the question arises, why didn't the all powerful good God make sure that when a man exercises that freedom of will, he does the right thing.

Views: 434

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By that logic (almost, if any logic be found in these geeks at all) a gay or lesbian child should be a "gift from God," but obviously this is not the case.  Instead, they point to Leviticus and the ravings of the insane Saul-Paul of Tarsus and claim that same sex orientation (my word, not theirs) is specifically excluded from this bounty.  (And hey, even Sarah Palin gets into it, saying her Down's syndrome child is a GFG.) If gays and lesbians are not gifts from God why did He send them to their parents in the first place.  Again, we see an O.T. deity characterized as much by his contradictions and his arbitrary decisions as by sound, well-considered judgment.  We see not a fair and impartial judge but an axe-grinding, mischievous, completely irresponsible fiend.

You are not alone is seeing the Jihadist parallel.  The evangelical is the other side of a coin that shows a Wahhabist fanatic, the difference being mainly in such things as use of alcholic beverages and other dietary and behavioral proscriptions.  That is because Judeo-Christian morality is mostly derived from the same sources, including Abrahamic law.  But there are secular Islamic nations just as there is the Judeo-Christian United States, where reformed Jews, no longer afraid of "God" (trichinosis) now that they've acquired the scientific advancement called a refrigerator, even eat -- oh, shudder!  Heaven forbid! -- pork.  Now that the evangelical bigot has been identified as the local equivalent of a Wahhabist, the monitors of far right wing activity, including the Southern Poverty Law Center, have put several such organizations on their list of "Hate Groups."  These include the rabidly anti-gay Family Research Council, which joined the Mormon Church in funding a California constitutional amendment to make same sex marriage unconstitutional.  What should be unconstitutional is irrational belief.

I suspect that in Santorum's view, Santorum is a gift from god.

Well, c'mon now folks. After all, Santorum's beloved Catholic Church does have its high moral principles.  I mean, look at their high level of morality recently in Brazil. The doctors who performed an abortion on a pregnant 9 year old victim of incestuous rape were excommunicated, along with the girl's mother who made her available for the procedure. You see, according to medical "science," her uterus was too small to carry one child, let alone the twins she was impregnated with.  But really, now.  That's just "science," and we all know "science" (yuk) doesn't have all the answers like the one True Holy and Apostolic Catholic Church, right?  Exommunicate the rapist? Wellllllllll............, not so much. And why? According to Santorum's logic, daddy give his 9 year "gifts from God."

And this sick, twisted fuck wants to hold the same office as Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Roosevelt.

Now, Pat, tell us what you really think of Santorum.  :-)))  I am wondering, was the rapist father a gift from God?

Considering how many sex crimes are committed by clergy on a regular basis, this may be a way for them to have more offspring.  Especially baptists.

That just proves his god is a sadistic asshole.

Well, I’m hardly qualified to speculate what ideas hibernate in the crevices of the Christian mind, but let’s pursue this further nonetheless….  A lesbian/gay child would also be a “Gift from God”, for two reasons: for the child, the “gift” consists of the challenge of overcoming his/her biology to lead a “normal and decent” life.  And for the parents, the “gift” is the challenge of reeducating their child to lead the “normal and decent” life.  Everyone is gifted with a fine opportunity to overcome adversity, which of course is a miracle, for only a miracle-working God would only be so unflappably generous in giving people the opportunity to excel!

Michael, I have heard parents of kids with horrible problems say that 'god' gave them their child like that so they could go advocate for other kids with the same problem.  My son has type 1 diabetes (an auto-immune disease, not like type 2).  If there was a 'god' who purposely gave him this chronic disease I would NOT worship that motherfucker. Pardon my language, but how can people 'think' like that????  Why just not have ALL kids be healthy.  Is EVERYONE with a disease there to advocate for others with that disease??? How do they not follow this crazy line of thinking all the way to the end of the un-logical conclusion?!!!!

They point your attention to the Book of Job.  Poor old Job suffered every kind of humiliation and loss: his whole family was taken from him, but he never, ever, disavowed God.  I would have started bombing churches, synagogues, and other religious shrines (only when people were not present).  Job was simply stupid.  It is an interesting fact that, at least in the order of the books' placement, Job was the last time in the O.T. that God spoke directly to man.  It was like he was saying, "STFU and endure misfortune.  I work in mysterious ways."

"Unlogical" (or illogical) is right, booklover, but you beg a certain philosophical question.  If God is omniscient, as they say he is, then he knows the future and can, with such knowledge, coupled with his omnipotence, alter the future or allow us the luxury of thinking nothing we can do can be altered, that we are going to do what we are going to do, anyway.  (Yes, the Islamists make this a cardinal point in their theology: that is why Omar Sharif keeps telling Peter O'Toole (in Lawrence of Arabia) that "It is written."  At one point, having enough of it, Lawrence defiantly says, "It is NOT written," which is a sacrilege.)  Now, doesn't this make Allah a bit better than Yod Hey Vow Hey, since Yahweh doesn't stress fatalism, a logical conclusion or cognate to a God's omniscience.  Well, not better, but maybe a little bit more honest.  Just speculating on such things could lead to insanity.  It's why I keep saying that the God meme must be destroyed.  We need to create an antiviral medication that will make God go away.  If not, humanity is doomed.

ha ha can't believe I said un-logical instead of illogical! I'm losing it!

Santorum has a daughter with a chromosomal disease, trisomy-18.  Most children with that disorder die a few days from birth, 90% in their first year, 99% are dead before the age of 10. He also had a stillborn son.  I'm sure he has stated that both were gifts from god, probably many times.  Having had both, I'm sure, has reinforced his faith.  Getting past "why me" and "why my child" is one of the hardest existential dilemmas there is.  One can either say, it's hard, but it is what it is (I would have to do that), curse god (the job story - and as I recall, his wife did say to curse god), or find a way to commit auto-psychological subterfuge and thank god.  He has done the last.  And he wants all of the rest of us to do it with him.

Actually, I think he's one of the most honest fundamentalist catholics (if there is such a thing) when it comes to abortion.  If the reason abortion is wrong, is that it murders a child - which is what they state - then it doesn't matter how the child got there. Rape and incest are not that child's fault, and the child should not be given the death penalty because of the horrible crime of its father.  If the child threatens the life of the mother, that's a more difficult dilemma.   I disagree with this argument, and I don't consider a fetus to have the rights of a sentient person, but the argument seems internally consistent from the "every conception is a full human being" point of view.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service