Romney Supported Senatorial Candidate: "Been Raped? No Abortion for You": God Works in Mysterious Ways

Romney is trying to distance himself from senatorial candidate and Tea Party favorite Richard Mourdock, who said during a debate that he would not support abortions for the victims of rape: "I struggled with [the exceptions question] myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is a gift from God, and I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

Let's see now, God intended that a woman should be raped and that the hapless victim should bear the child of a rapist to term?  The issue strikes at the heart of a major argument against God's very existence, the argument from evil.  If a rapist inseminates his victim, God cannot be good, for if he is all-powerful, he could have stopped the rapist, and if God gave the rapist freedom of will but did not want the victim to exercise her's, why did God not make sure that the rapist chose good and refrain from taking a woman against her will in the first place?

I hear the standard refrain, the capitulation response of the Mourdocks of this world: "God works in mysterious ways." 

Give me a break!  What an arsehole!

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can we PLEASE start lobbying for an I.Q. requirment for politicians now?

It'd be nice, but that would legislate a lot of Congress out of their meal ticket.  They'd never vote for it!

The problem is even bigger—the intelligence of the voters who put them in office—but at least we could make a start with your requirement.

What IQ level would qualify to vote? 100, which is "average" (and forget the bias of race, gender, etc., of getting this number)? The vast majority of us on here would qualify. But what about the rest of the population?

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. Winston Churchill.

I suppose if you get HIV from a rape, you shouldn't be treated because that is god's will.  Same for Chlamydia, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Herpes, and any lacerations or contusions that result.  God works in mysterious ways.  We should not oppose god's will.

Right on! Let go, let god. OH! I hate that expression. 

On that basis, the medical profession shouldn't even exist ... and we can go back to a life expectancy of 20-30 years.  Oh, what fun...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
5 minutes ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
12 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
15 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
23 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
31 minutes ago
Pat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
32 minutes ago
Pat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
33 minutes ago
Christine replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
1 hour ago
Christine replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist replied to Jas Brimstone's discussion media yet again effs up portrayal of bisexuals in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 commented on BIPLAB DAS's blog post A 9 year old girl was mentally tortured after being accused as witch.
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Odd results of Climate Change in the group Climate Concerns
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service