Rick Santorum: "You should get very nervous" about Obama's view of religion

On Monday (Feb. 20), Rick Santorum resumed his attack against President Obama's religious values before an audience of hundreds of students at Hope College, a Christian school in Michigan where there's a GOP primary next Tuesday.

He compared the president to tyrants who want to limit the role of religion and accused him of being weak in defending religious freedom.

Tags: Obama, Santorum

Views: 498

Replies to This Discussion

I always say I can't discuss politics, then move on to something noncontroversial, like have they taste-tested varietal olive oils and do they like Spanish or Italian oils better?

Huh?  You deal with people who don't know what a consort is?

He also said "Anyone calling themself a Christian should kick Jerry Falwell in the ass"

Excellent!

Here is adiscussion on Barry Goldwater that was in the history group.  Some interesting insights. "Barry Goldwater was a conservative libertarian Atheist Republican. I'm so confused!"

then there's this revealing quote from Santorum in 2008:

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

but wait, i thought Santorum said "I've repeatedly said I don't question the president's faith," he said. "I've repeatedly said that I believe the president's Christian."

um, no, you haven't.  LIAR!!!!!!!!!

Not that this surprises me, but this idiot doesn't even understand his own religion.  I was raised Catholic.  The fucking Catholic church doesn't even take the Bible literally.  He's pandering to the fundigelical whack-jobs, not even correctly representing his faith.

Santorum on the right to privacy.  It's interesting that he apparently views ejaculation of semen into a vagina as a giving act, and act of self sacrifice!

The state has a right to outlaw birth control even by a married couple in their own bedroom.

The state has a right to enter your bedroom and search for contraceptives or contraceptive devices.

This man is a passionate religious zealot, a crusader for imposition of Vatican Catholicism on the American people.  All of those evangelicals who support him - he thinks they are satan-inspired, not-real-christians.  Thoughtless knee-jerk conservatives, who they think they are getting - a savior of the unborn babies, and antigay savior - hates them all.  I can't believe how self-defeating, thoughtless, and uninformed those republican primary voters are.

Perhaps a quick drop into insanity will get more notice than a slow slide.  If the change is gradual enough, most people won't notice.  The American people are not particularly observant.

Santorum becomes more dangerous every day.  It is clear that he does not value the separation of Church and State.  Okay, I can be upset about that.  When he was just a whackjob rightwing candidate off to the side of the real contenders, it wasn't too bad.  What really gets my blood boiling is that every day, he is bolstered by more and more support and his message keeps getting stronger and stronger.  I truly hope the only reason he is doing well is that only other wingnuts like him go vote in primaries, as is traditionally the case.  He is a scary dude, who wants to bring us back a few centuries instead of forward.

The strategy proposed by some progressives, to give Obama a weak opponent by voting for Santorum in the primary if possible (e.g. open primaries), could backfire.

"President Santorum" would be scary!!

I agree, Grinning Cat, this is no time for games.  I was shocked when Obama won (glad, but shocked).  It is less unbelievable in America today for a Santorum to win.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service