Rick Santorum: "You should get very nervous" about Obama's view of religion

On Monday (Feb. 20), Rick Santorum resumed his attack against President Obama's religious values before an audience of hundreds of students at Hope College, a Christian school in Michigan where there's a GOP primary next Tuesday.

He compared the president to tyrants who want to limit the role of religion and accused him of being weak in defending religious freedom.

Tags: Obama, Santorum

Views: 499

Replies to This Discussion

I thought Reagan and Bush the lessor couldn't possible win - to this day I'm still amazed that they did.

I agree, sort of.  My batting average is really bad.  I also thought Clinton would not win.  I am not going to jinx it by believing Obama will - also, the American electorate seems to be psychotic these days.

From time to time, the American political system goes insane.  This is nothing new, and not necessarily a cause for alarm, as generally the system equilibrates.  Santorum will have his admittedly scary interval of fame, but the inevitable closer scrutiny will derail his candidacy.  This year's crop of Republican candidates has been pathetically weak.  The most credible Republicans simply chose not to run.  Amongst the remainder, none had a coherent message, which is why one after another "front runner" collapsed.  Santorum is simply the default choice of an obsolete and demographically collapsing bloc (angry blue-collar whites).

The system may equalize again, but it can leave a lot of harm in its wake.  For example, McCarthyism.  And Jim Crow in the south, with segregation in the north.  Illegitimate wars that kill thousands, deplete resources, and wreck the economy.  Some say Huntsman was a credible republican, but the primary electorate didn't care for him.  I agree I did not here a coherent message from him.  I hope that you are right in your optimism but eternal vigilance is the cost of maintaining a free democratic system.  

Huntsman's problem was that he was too reasonable.  In order to win the Republican primary you have to be bat-shit insane.

Damn, you beat me to it.  I was going to say something to that effect.  Being reasonable doesn't win you any points with the bulk of the Republican base, nowadays.

Not to derail (and I do have a capacity for endless tangentiality), but what is it about the fecal matter of bats that causes mental dysfunction?  I've long wondered if bats excrete LSD or something.  Most animals excrete feces that are actually quite useful for improving soil fertility.  Rabbits, and many other animals, obtain vital nutrients via copraphagy.  Coffee beans, eaten by civets and pooped out to create Kopi Luwak–civet coffee, make a highly sought, supposedly extra delicious coffee.  Not that I would try it.  And guano, which can come from bat feces, is well known as a rich fertilizer.  But bat shit creates insanity.  I'm intrigued.  

They use it to fertilize psychedelic mushrooms.

This warms my heart.  Where else but on Nexus could I learn such important things?

One of the things it can contain are active rabies virus which , if one were infected, would ultimately  lead to madness - but that's a long stretch at best.  I think it's used because it sounds right and everyone knows what it means.

My son in law bought a 1/4 pound of the Civet shit coffee (at some outrageous price.) and I have to say it's a very tasty coffee

The reason why the Repubs trotted out this group of nags this year is because they have already conceded the election to Obama. Obama, while far,far from perfect has accomplished much from the relics of Bush regime spending spree. ie, The troops out of Iraq, has not bowed to the Repub threat/strategy of shutting down government, Hussein, repeal of DADT, etc.  But the Number 1 reason why the Repubs have conceded is contained in a simple, (but come general election time,) exceedingly potent sentence.

"I got Osama Bin Laden"

The Republicans have absolutely no answer for that. It will shut every Republican mouth during any debate. It is the "5 finger death punch" in the 2012 Presidential election. Americans just LOVE revenge!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service