Now, this is scary. What if this deluded individual becomes president? With tea party movement and anti-intellectual bible thumping industry shills like this guy getting favor, it seems the US is in the perfect position to become a straight-up fascist state. Most of the indicators are there already. I'm kinda getting freaked out. What do y'all think?

Views: 424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not pulling any piece on anyone, and hopefully will never have to (unless it's pulled on me).  Problem is, as a person of no faith, that includes the lack of any in the inherent intelligence of the American people.  One of things that deeply concerns me is what I perceive as a slide towards fascism in the US.  An interesting read is the modern day Italian philosopher, and essayist, Umberto Eco.  I can see parallels of his experience happening here in the US.  And, as I alluded to in an earlier post on this thread, Americans (in my opinion) are no more intelligent, or any more perceptive than Germans were in 1933.

Eco grew up in Mussolini's Italy and has written on what he calls Ur-Fascism, or universal fascism.  Here a list of 14 points to look for.  Read it and see how many of these track the Tea Party philosophy.   http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_blackshirt.html

Reminds me of the quote attributed to the Nobel Prize winning author, Sinclair Lewis.  "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” 

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that stuff and pissed about it. You left out abolishment of corporate income tax. Just worried about the country's direction from here.

It seemed a very good speech.  I only wish he hadn't added God to it three times.  At least, he held that to the end, apparently a tip of the hat to the Tea Partiers and dominionists, so they'd be a little less likely to beat up on republicans willing to at least consider voting for his jobs bill.

Please do.  That would be great.  As for Obama's religious references, my first gut feeling was the same, I think, as yours.  Now, I'm trying to hope for better.  I'm on the President's propaganda email list, and the email, today, regarding 9/11, held no religious reference at all.  That's what encouraged me.  Just saying.  And just hoping...
U.S. voters elected George W. Bush, twice.  If they liked "W", they'll love Rick Perry - a frightfully, sad thought.  I've often considered the possibility of a secular separatist movement.  I wonder where we could go? Someplace where myth and superstition would not be tolerated (O.K., encouraged) and reason could prevail.

We need to build an island of reasonable people and call ourselves the 'rational nationals'. Human made islands are made all the time, right....we don't need to depend on existing islands...

A person could be a citizen of good standing if they refrained from blessing people, from praising the lord, from praying for supernatural/divine intervention, from openly believing in heaven/hell/angels/devils/ghosts/Elvis sightings/Bigfoot sightings/UFO sitings...any more restrictions....?  Seeing holy images in toast is another 'no no'.

Agreed Sidney!
I proclaim your requests rational and reasonable.  Done, Sidney M. and booklover.

Yikes, after watching this video (since I had to google your reference) I'm feeling even worse about this world we live in....check out the spooky doll head and the sea turtle image...haunting images:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnUjTHB1lvM

THAT'S a lot of plastic.  I seriously didn't know it was THAT bad out there.  I remember hearing about this after the Japanese Earthquake...that materials were being found hundreds of miles away floating in this 'patch' or similar to it.

No UFOs? :(
ha ha...I'm sure there are some people that are convinced those aliens from outer space are hiding SOMEWHERE...perhaps beneath the patch of garbage and plastic non-biogradable water bottles floating out there.  I still cannot get that spooky doll out of my head...it's eyes were so vacant....gives me the shivers.
The dramatic shot of an adult tortoise whose body was sharply hourglass shaped from growing with a plastic constriction band around its middle was so dramatic, I clicked on a second video to make sure what I thought I was seeing!  At the adult size, it barely had room for its aorta and vena cava to pass.  Getting food through its digestive tract must have been harsh.  I expect it died from ingesting undigestible plastic which blocked the narrow opening through the plastic constriction band still intact outside its shell.  The particulars past that point, well, they're just too gruesome to describe, here.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service